Kill 'Em All review by Metallica

• Released: Jul 25, 1983
Metallica: Kill 'Em All

This album is very unique, mainly becuase of Dave Mustaine. His presence in th band, though very short, was what made this album so "different" in terms of sound and playing style compared to some of the other albums by Metallica. I personally believe that this album is one of Metallica's best. Mainly because it is so raw, James is a lot younger here so you see a little bit more passion and spirit. A lot more of this punk, metal attitude. Thus far in Metallica's career most of the songs consisted of heavy riffage but simple, speedy solos, and no funky transitions. They keep it simple, but with that simplicity comes well composed numbers with a good, solid rythym. Soundwise this album was really metal, but there is a certain lack of variety in the album as well. Best songsoundwise is Hit The Lights.

Lyrics are fairly standard, somewhat simple, but that is not a big factor in this album, its the delivery that counts. James Hetfield makes the lyrics work, the wat he delivers the lyrics is so potent. Pure metal, that is how the singing sounds. Not like death meatal or black metal. No, this is just plain, raw metal! The lyrics aren't profound in this album either, but they don't have to be. The lyrics deliver a simple but powerful message in each song. Again kudos to James Hetfield here, this album wouldn't be nearly as good w/out him. Best Song lyrically is The Four Horsemen.

To me this is the album that started it all for Metallica, getting an album out that really states what they are about. It really is a little different, specifically becuase of Dave Mustaine and the fact that Metallica had not yet established a certain style at the time, so it was really just kind of seeing what works and what doesn't. I definitley prefer this album over the new Death Magnetic, which in my opinoin was a direction Metallica should not have gone. Kill Em All is not Metallica's best album but it is a very good compilation in general. Best song on the album is Seek and Destroy.

MotörHeadFan22
    Classic Album but out of all the albums i'd have to say my favorites would be 1. Master Of Puppets 2. Ride The Lightning 3. ...And Justice For All 4. Metallica 5. Kill 'Em All 6. Death Magnetic 7. ReLoad 8. St. Anger 9. Load
    MotörHeadFan22
    dave just wrote a majority of the songs/solos kirk plays everything else!
    SGofawesome
    MotrHeadFan22 wrote: SGofawesome wrote: This...1201ZJ wrote: Ummmmm Kirk din't join until the second album....The solo's were Dave's.KIRK WAS IN THE FIRST ALBUM! DAVE WASN'T IN ANY!!! dave just wrote a majority of the songs/solos kirk plays everything else!
    Exactly!
    MaggaraMarine
    Kirk is more melodic player than Mustaine. So I prefer him. And this is a guitar site. I thought that guitarists would understand that the solos that Kirk or Mustaine play aren't hard for them. You need to be able to play the solos live without any struggling. Listen to Mustaine's solos on "No Life 'Til Leather" and then Kirk's solos on Kill 'em All. IMO Kirk does much better job. Mustaine just shredded on NLTL demo. Kirk brought some melodies, even though he based almost all of his solos on Mustaine's. This is just my opinion.