Live Shit: Binge & Purge review by Metallica

• Released: Nov 23, 1993
Metallica: Live Shit: Binge & Purge

You'll find all of Metallica's great hits (from Kill Em' All to the Black Album) performed live in 3 cds. The songs are from a 1993 show in New Mexico. If you've ever seen or heard Metallica live before then you'll know what to expect...a lot of heavy riffes, a lot of guitar solos, a few drum solos, and a lot of cussing from the lead singer. Some of the songs are almost in their original form, while a lot of them have changed solos and lyrics. Metallica is one of the better live bands because they always make the songs seem a lot more interesting and worth listening to live.

A few lyrics are switched around here...including a lot of F***s and S***s added everywhere in songs (this album easily earns it's Parental Advisory label). James Hetfield's vocals are a lot better live than in the studio because of the old equipment used in the earlier albums (just imagine all of the old songs but with James' new style voice). I think both of those things make the songs better than the studio versions.

This is an incredible live package, better than what most bands come up with. There are 3 CDs and then 2 DVDs...I got it for the CDs though. During the show, the band does a lot of cool things like a 20 minute guitar solo, and on Seek & Destroy, they pick various members out of the audience to say SEEK & DESTROY at the top of their lungs. There are some unlisted tracks that can be found in the disc, like So What (played before "Battery). My favorite performances are "One", "Enter Sandman", "The Unforgiven", and "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)". There are a lot of others though that are also worth listening to. The DVD's are a little disappointing because of their low quality, but they are still fun to watch (if you want the best Metallica DVD then I suggest Cunning Stunts). The package also includes a backstage pass (sorry, it was for the black album tour only) and James' notorious "Scary Guy" stencil. I suggest that you get the smaller $50 package that contains the DVDs instead of the huge $80 one that has VHS tapes. This is so worth getting, there aren't many better live sets than this one.