Live Shit: Binge & Purge Review

Metallica: Live Shit: Binge & Purge
Released: Nov 23, 1993
Genre: Thrash Metal
Label: Elektra
Number Of Tracks: 60 (3CD)
It is the band's first live album and it was released in a box set format on November 23, 1993.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.4
 9.3
 9.4
Live Shit: Binge & Purge Reviewed by: Rooster666, on january 19, 2007

Sound: The sound is amazing. For a live album, it sounds great. There are some parts where it is hard to hear, but only in a few places. The DVD is filmed well and also has great sound quality. Both capture the feelings of there live shows. I like how they have little jams in between songs. It is also cool how kirk does extended solos and new ones like at the end of One and For whom the bell tolls. // 10

Lyrics: James is a great singer live. He hits all notes perfectly. In many songs he adds words to them. I like how he talks to the crowd. Jason is a great backup singer. On the CD, He sings Seek And Destroy. He also sings the last chorus on Creeping Death. Overall, the singing is great. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great example of what a concert should be. If you haven't ever been to one their concerts You need this. Other great things include: a scary man stencil, snake pit pass, and booklet. On the DVD there is a history of Metallica segment worth watching. I highly reccomend this. // 10

Live Shit: Binge & Purge Reviewed by: guitarjared, on january 08, 2004

Sound: You'll find all of Metallica's great hits (from Kill Em' All to the Black Album) performed live in 3 cds. The songs are from a 1993 show in New Mexico. If you've ever seen or heard Metallica live before then you'll know what to expect...a lot of heavy riffes, a lot of guitar solos, a few drum solos, and a lot of cussing from the lead singer. Some of the songs are almost in their original form, while a lot of them have changed solos and lyrics. Metallica is one of the better live bands because they always make the songs seem a lot more interesting and worth listening to live. // 10

Lyrics: A few lyrics are switched around here...including a lot of F***s and S***s added everywhere in songs (this album easily earns it's Parental Advisory label). James Hetfield's vocals are a lot better live than in the studio because of the old equipment used in the earlier albums (just imagine all of the old songs but with James' new style voice). I think both of those things make the songs better than the studio versions. // 10

Overall Impression: This is an incredible live package, better than what most bands come up with. There are 3 CDs and then 2 DVDs...I got it for the CDs though. During the show, the band does a lot of cool things like a 20 minute guitar solo, and on Seek & Destroy, they pick various members out of the audience to say SEEK & DESTROY at the top of their lungs. There are some unlisted tracks that can be found in the disc, like So What (played before "Battery). My favorite performances are "One", "Enter Sandman", "The Unforgiven", and "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)". There are a lot of others though that are also worth listening to. The DVD's are a little disappointing because of their low quality, but they are still fun to watch (if you want the best Metallica DVD then I suggest Cunning Stunts). The package also includes a backstage pass (sorry, it was for the black album tour only) and James' notorious "Scary Guy" stencil. I suggest that you get the smaller $50 package that contains the DVDs instead of the huge $80 one that has VHS tapes. This is so worth getting, there aren't many better live sets than this one. // 10

Live Shit: Binge & Purge Reviewed by: mesaboogieman, on june 07, 2005

Sound: Metallica are my favourite band on the planet, I had all the albums when I bought this, but I had never seen any live videos of them playing. When you first opern this box set (literally a box) you get: A Backstage Pass Replica Saying "I was on stage with Metallica in the Snake Pit, 1992", A "scary guy" stencil, lots of random paper with tour dates and such. The first DVD, (Vancouver) Seattle 1989 on the Justice tour. Very loud, quite messy, but great to see Metallica back stronger than ever without Cliff, also Jason Newsted's first album tour with Metallica. Opening with "Blackened", going through songs such as "Harvester Of Sorrow", "Sanitarium", "Fade To Black", The Melody Instrumental From "To Live Is To Die" "One", "And Justice For All", "Last Caress", "Am I Evil", and finishing with "Breadfan". The second DVD, was taken from their San Diego show on the "Wherever I May Roam" tour. Starting out with "Enter Sandman, going through songs from their 5th album simply called "Metallica" or "The Black Album". Based around the setlist from the Justice tour, replacing the medley from "To Live Is To Die" with the Medley part of "Orion" in memory of Cliff Burton. And finally, the 3-disc compilation from the "Nowhere Else To Roam" tour in 1993, the same setlist as the San Diego DVD. I might like to add that the Vancouver show is the first time Metallica met future Producer and Mixer Bob Rock for the first time. // 8

Lyrics: As always I was overall impressed with the quality of the San Diego DVD, and the 3-Disc CD. Although the Seattle concert is too loud for the arena and the sound is quite messy, but it is also where James Hetfield (in my opinion) is at his best vocally. // 10

Overall Impression: I cant really compare this to any other complilation, or box sets, maybe "With the Lights Out" the Nirvana Box set, just a great mix and match of some of there best moments, and shows. If this were stolen or lost (I actually have lost the Seattle Disc) I would buy it again but not for the sake of one of the DVDs, maybe if the whole thing was stolen. I love the fact that it has, full, complete shows (W/Bacstage Footage). Overall Imoression, a must have for Metallica fans old and new. // 10

Live Shit: Binge & Purge Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 22, 2005

Sound: Sound is very good, a little open and burried in the mix of the crowd at the start of the CD but typical in yer face 'tallica, lovely! Good selection of songs, the Justice medly is fantastic and 'One' is absolutely brilliant! The album is dragged out slightly by execessive gabbling on the DVD's on Lars' part and rather long guitar solos but this all worth it when you hear the force of 'Through The Never'! // 8

Lyrics: More typical live Metallica, few F words, well plenty of them thrown in for good meaure, and a very funny (if not a slightly long) 'Seek And Destroy' bout some up proceedings here. Good to hear the crowd interaction as it gives a very organic and real feel. // 8

Overall Impression: This is an expensive albumn! was a 100 but you can get it for roung 35 now, phew! Alot of money but this is very very good! It may have been better if on the DVD they cut out the waffle and on the CD the solo's as they are harder to appreciate by just listening to them but this is Metallica at their most arrogant, what more would you expect? Best get saving and purchase this albumn! // 8

Comments