Load Review

Metallica: Load
Released: Jun 4, 1996
Genre: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal
Styles: Elektra
Delivered five years after their eponymous "Black Album" in 1991, "Load" captures Metallica settling into an uneasy period of maturation.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 8.4
 9.3
 7.5
 5,332
Load Reviewed by: scottishmob, on february 06, 2006

Sound: The first Metallica song I think I ever heard was "Until It Sleeps." I actually saw the video, years later all I knew was that it was Metallica, I had no idea what album or what song. About 3 years ago when I first started to get into them I bought Master of Puppets. I listened to it day and night, it never left my Cd player, and often is back in for a good listen. When I found out that the song I heard years before was off "Load", I wanted to buy it so badly. It wasn't until five albums later that I bought it. When I did I listened to it all weekend and determined that this album is at first not as accessable to anyone with a taste for Metallica (I'm not talking about those 'great fans' who have heard one or two songs by them and don't fault to give their opinion on the best album, I'm talking about fans of the first four albums). Also, this album is probably Metallica's darkest. No other album of Metallica covers the subjects so effectively or believable. Actually, no other album has even covered such dark subjects like demonic possession, child murder or love in pain. The sound quality is the best of all their albums (except for "Reload" but they are just extensions). Bob Rock is a very skilled producer (no matter what you think of his decisions). Completely flawless. "Load" was a very different album in comparasion to the first four and is more an evolution in sound from "Metallica". Since Kirk had been studying guitar more during the five year period between the last album he incorporates a lot of different styles into the standard heavy overdriven metal sound. There are hints of blues and jazz, and on two tracks (Ronnie/Mama Said) even country. Whatever you like or dislike about that, it does not at all diminish "Load" at all but actually succeeds in giving it a substance that the other Metallica albums seem to be lacking. Better than most of yesterday and todays music. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically this (again, along with Reload) was a high for Metallica. The writing form was different from past efforts however, there was a matured lyrical style, metaphores, simmiles (sp), they just seemed to more thoughtful and overall more believable. James Hetfield really put in effort as this is not only his lyrical peak but also vocally he has yet to match the greatness that is "Load." The singing shows that he not only has more talent than the vast, vast, majority of frontmen then and now, but he knows how to use it, and how to adjust his voice to better fit the mood and feel, or emotion of the song. Phenominal, by all means. // 10

Overall Impression: This album brings many things to mind. It stands out against the other albums in all aspects. It was much maligned for not being more like "Metallica" or "Master Of Puppets," which is tremendously unfair. This album should not be compared to those two because it is so different. And even so, that doesn't mean it isn't good. It marked a lot of firsts for the band and really showed the talent of the entire band. It has some of the coolest riffs and lyrics I have ever heard, the music flows together at all times, the subject matter was greater and more thought out. If you find this album and actually listen to it for what it is: a great creative peak, perhaps the greatest vocal show for 10 years, versatile/virtuoso guitar, fitting, catchy drum tracks, and a bass that is constant and great throughout, you will be finding a treasure that nost people don't. This album is almost hypnotic. It has many feels to it, one is classic rock, blues, and to some point psychedlia (some solos especially). This is definately the darkest album I own. It delivers groundbreaking sound and style with each song. This is one of my favorite albums ever, and I actually tend to prefer it to all of Metallica's other albums, don't get me wrong, Master of Puppets is perhaps the greatest metal album of all time and is a landmark accomplishment for music, but I find "Load" to be a much more varying, intelligent album. There is something for everyone in this album and Metallica excels on each new factor they've brought into their sound here. Also, this CD is 78:59 (their longest yet, with every second being great). If someone stole this from me I would definately burn a new copy off my computer and listen to it as I found and beat the thief for all his money to buy not only another "Load" but whatever CD I want. Hey, but thats just me. One of the greatest underrated albums of all time, a swirling blend of musical styles, a great maturation of sound and intelligence, hypnotic, and almost satanic subjects. Great on all accounts. // 10

Load Reviewed by: Saba, on november 17, 2003

Sound: For a hardcore pre-Load Metallica fan, Load will come as a bit of a surprise. The album sounds a bit insecure, because Metallica seem to be in unfamiliar territory, trying to get a bit deeper than they normally would. It also has a bit of a Western sounding feel to it, from songs like "Ronnie" and "The Outlaw Torn". However, don't let this put you off. There are some rocking songs on this album, that still have the essence of Metallica but still sounds different. // 8

Lyrics: James Hetfields lyrics here are much more deeper and complex than other albums, which is a nice surprise. "Mama Said" for example is a touching song of James's feelings towards his dead mother, and is very personal. Fans who likes James' lyrics from previous albums may find these lyrics frustrating, seeing as there is more than the literal meaning to them. That said, songs like "Cure" see Hetfield trying a bit too hard to be poetic, but "Cure" is essentially the only to be trying too hard, the rest are of a higher standard than previous albums. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is VERY from the Black Album, and some fans may be put off by this, (I originally was, but then I realised its impossible to replicate an album like The Black Album), however, it is still a fantastic album. The songs here are just as rocking as other albums, but wanting to dig a bit deeper, which I think is a good thing. Buy this album and see for yourself. // 8

Load Reviewed by: Alive_For_You, on june 19, 2007

Sound: This CD is by far my favorite Metallica CD out, this one and ReLoad. The guitars and drums in some songs were mellow and calming and other songs made you wanna jump up and punch someone in the face due to your adreniline rush. I don't know, I guess that's just me, but yeah. My favorite riff on this CD had to have been either "Bleeding Me" or "King Nothing." Both of which are just kickass songs I general. I just really liked mellowness of this CD when it came up and it's a better side of Metallica in my eyes. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this CD were probably the most personal out of any other album. Songs about Hetfield's father and how cancer took him away (Until It Sleeps) or his relationship with his mom (Mama Said). I'm a lyric person and this CD beats any other of their releases lyrically. They're just so deep and caring (some songs are). The sound along with lyrics made the songs sound more intense and went along great with them. "Until It Sleeps" being very heavy and angry. "Mama Said" sounding calm and sad. I gotta hand it to James on this CD..and ReLoad. Around when "The Black Album" was released, his voice changed and got more melodic. I know, doesn't go with their old stuff... but it sounds better with this music and current era they are in. and that is what's important now, not back in the day, current era. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD, in my eyes, is better than "The Black Album". I don't know, I just like the sound of it more. We're all entitled to our opinions. "Load" is just a little bit better than "ReLoad" but not by much. This album is actually the equal to Godsmack's "IV". Both have matured writing and excellent sound. I thought all the songs on this CD were amazing. Honestly, if had lost this CD, I don't know if I would cry or kill someone. I would buy extra copeis just in case the CD were never out of my possesion. And, to let everyone know, I did not hate one thing about this CD. I loved everything. // 10

Comments