Master of Puppets review by Metallica

• Released: Mar 3, 1986
  • Users' score: 9.4 (2,571 votes)
Metallica: Master of Puppets

Metallica's 3rd album is one of the albums that helped preserve real metal in the 80s. I just love the sound of their work! This is the first Metallica album I bought. At first, I got curious about them because of the cool artwork of their first 5 albums. So I listened to previews through those scan-and-listen-a-cd things at WalMart, and the preview for "The Thing That Should Not Be" (track 3) got me into their music and then, heavy metal. So I bought this, and it was the only thing I listened to for a month. "I was obsessed with track 3, and eventually got into all of the tracks. This is a very raw and straight-up record. At first, when I didn't understand metal very much, I thought metal was just a bunch of s--t-inciting screamers with spikes and chains on, n' stuff, until I listened to those guys.

Hetfield redefined for me the singing style of metal music, true metal music like they played on this album. Since I wasn't into metal much at the time, the lyrics took some getting used to, for me, and now, I plan to cover every one of the 8 songs. 1. "Battery" is about some sort of powerful, destructive force found in someone. There is an acoustic intro to the song that sounds Mexican, so it's cool. (Hetfield/Ulrich), 5:10 2. "Master Of Puppets", if you haven't guessed already, is about drug addiction. Lyrical clues are "Chop your breakfast in a mirror", relating to cocaine, "Veins that pump with fear", relating to heroin, "taste me you will see, more is all you need, dedicated to, how I'm killing you" relates to any kind of drug. This song is very meaningful to me. You got to hear the solo in the middle area. At first, I thought it had nothing to do with the song, so it's very catchy. (Hetfield/Ulrich/Burton/Hammett), 8:38 3. "The Thing That Should Not Be" is the song that got me into Metallica. I still don't know the exact meaning of the lyrics, but you might, something about "fearless wretch, insanity, he watches, lurking beneath the sea", etc. The riff is one of their best ever. (Hetfield/Ulrich/Hammett), 6:32 4. "Welcome Home (sanitarium)" is about resistance against an asylum. This song includes soft elements, gradually going raw and heavy. Keep your ears open for the solo. (Hetfield/Ulrich/Hammett), 6:28 5. "Disposable Heroes" is another hardcore thrasher that talks about disposing a used-up dead soldier boy who was bred to kill, or something. I still like this song. (Hetfield/Ulrich/Hammett), 8:14 6. "Leper Messiah" is an okay song. Something about "Send Me Money Send Me Green Heaven You Will Meet, Make a contribution and yu get the better seat, bow to Leper Messiah." (Hetfield/Ulrich), 5:38 7. "Orion" is a very killer instrumental. I wonder why Metallica stopped writing instrumentals. Watch out for the bass solo. (Hetfield/Ulrich/Burton), 8:12 8. "Damage, Inc." is about some sort of company meant to damage people. The intro is pretty weird many said it is a bass intro, but I don't know how a bass can do that. This is one of their thrashiest works ever. You won't want to miss this. (Hetfield/Ulrich/Burton/Hammett), 5:08

I owe my love for heavy metal to this album. I don't know why none of the songs made hit single, but I hope and pray that its because every single song is great, which I know it is. Go get this album if you had to search every store in this planet. Buy it now and you will not regret.