Master of Puppets review by Metallica

• Released: Mar 3, 1986
  • Users' score: 9.4 (2,573 votes)
Metallica: Master of Puppets

Wow, I was in grade 4 when I first heard 'Master Of Puppets'. I thought it was pretty cool and all but I couldn't truly comprehend what I was listening to. It wasn't until grade 8 when I gave it another listen that I was completely blown away. Metallica really pushed there melodic ability and truly polished off what I think they were trying to do in Ride The Lightning. My impression is that the sound is amazing, from the galloping riffs in 'Battery' to the quiet, little intro of 'Damage Inc.' it's just awesome. But, I have one thing to bitch about, where the hell is the kick drum? I can barely hear it! It just happens to be the hardest parts that are hard to hear. I just wish the kick was more like ...And Justice For All.

The lyrics are totaly kickass. They talk about war from a soldiers perspective (Disposable Heroes), TV evangelists (Leper Messiah), mental patients (Sanitarium), drug addiction (Master Of Puppets) and so on and so forth. But, the main idea is power and it's abuse. As far as singer skills go, James has pretty agressive voice. I like his voice on Master of Puppets far better than Ride the Lightning or Kill 'Em All. This may have been due to production quality. James can still sing today, but, he's lost the agression of youth. As far as this album goes for lyrics and singing, top notch.

This was the first metal album that I had ever listened to and it's still as good as when I first heard it. I think that people who say it's overated have just over listened it and have grown tired of it. It's a big step forward since the Kill 'Em All days. Still full of energy and agression yet they've push way forward in the musical ability department. Melody is a key aspect of this album without watering down its heaviness. I loved all the songs on this album but the song that impressed me the most are 'Dispiable Heroes'. I love pretty much everything musicaly about this album. I just wish production had been better and could have brought out the lower end, such as the kick and bass more. If it were lost/stolen I'd definately buy it again. If you don't have it now, go out and get it.

Chris Freeman
    this by far is the greatest metallica album. it would be nice if they went back to sounding like this.
    goukaookami
    This was my very first Metallica album and i got hooked on it from the first few notes of battery. The album has great sounds and different styles of music. I love it!
    Metalology
    70'sdude wrote: To metalogy: You retard, you can't define the theme of any of these songs because they are so emotional, so heavy, so...inexplainable, that they can't be described
    joke?