Master of Puppets review by Metallica

• Released: Mar 3, 1986
  • Users' score: 9.4 (2,571 votes)
Metallica: Master of Puppets

The sound of this album is classic metal, in short. The levels are set so that a lot of the higher sounds come out, without quite as much low end. But make no mistake, this is still a hard rockin' album. James Hetfield's voice goes well with how the guitars sound. It also has a balance between all-out thrash and other music (Sanitarium). This album was recorded at Sweet Silence Studios in Copenhagen, DK. Ride the Lightning (their second album) was also recorded there. Those two albums are probably their best (my opinion). And, as most know, Cliff Burton died on tour while promoting the album. Cliff brought more to that album than most people know. The really good songs, were written, in part, by him. RIP Cliff.

01. Battery - the opening track of the album, and possibly one of the best. The singing is capital, and the lyrics fit the feeling of the song. It's lines like that in the entire song that make it such an awesome track. 02. Master Of Puppets - the title track. This song deals with addiction and the like. It talks about how you can get to a point when something controls you, and eventually kills you. Another great song off a great album. 03. The Thing That Should Not Be - I will be honest and tell you that I have absolutely no idea what this song is talking about. I think it's talking about some sort of monster or something. It's still a great song. 04. Welcome Home (Sanitarium) - this is the slow song of the album, but certainly not the weak point of it. It is sung from the perspective of a man in an asylum. He struggles with wanting to be free from the demons that torment him from within. 05. Disposably Heroes - this is my favorite song on the whole album! It's obviously an anti-war song, and talks about the terrors of war and young people dying in battle for their country. The way it is sung, you can tell that they are passionate about what they speak. 06. Leper Messiah - this is the only song on the entire album that I don't like. But, it does speak of valid points of false faith in something that so many people believe in so blindly. 07. Orion - you can't really rate this song on lyrics, because it's an instrumental. If it had lyrics, I'll bet they'd be pretty cool, though. 08. Damage Inc. - my second favorite off of the album. This is another anti-war song. This song speaks of resisting no matter how hard it may be. Overall, a lyrically powerful album. These guys know what they're talking about, and how to put it into words.

Wow, there is so much to say about this album. It has been held responsible by some as the turinging point of heavy metal. It was their first album to really get recognized legitimately. I can pick favorites of the songs, but the fact is, they are all really really really really really uber good songs. Rock on Metallica, I love you guys!

METSOAD
    METSOAD, it's not about a freakshow. It's about T.V. evangelists and religions that are just out for your money.[/quote] Ok, cheers dude