Master of Puppets review by Metallica

• Released: Mar 3, 1986
  • Users' score: 9.4 (2,572 votes)
Metallica: Master of Puppets

Alright I'll try to get straight to the point on this one. This is a really great album, if not, Metallica's best. This is last we see of the late great Cliff Burton as most Metallica fans know that he passed away that year, just shortly after the album was released (RIP). Okay on with the review, this album features a slightly different, more mature Metallica as thier sound is no longer sounding so "muddy" like ride the lightning or kill em all. This album delivers a knockout punch to any Metallica fan out there, and even if your not a fan (for those of you whove only heard St. Anger) it'll make you one. Believe me.

Alright, I found the lyrics interesting as I usually do with metallica. As most fans know James Hetfield does most of the writing and as usual he delivered many a good write on this album. As I usually like to do I'm going to give you a break down of what exactly makes this album a masterpiece: 01. Battery - when I first heard this one I was kind of confused, because I recalled hearing a song with a similar sort of intro with the acoustic guitars (Fight Fire With Fire), but as I listened to this increasingly cool track, I found it was far from FFWF. Just when you think they'll drag the acoustics out more, boom, they burst into high octane thrash metal. This song stood out to me and remains to be a favourite. 02. Master Of Puppets - a masterpiece to say the least. This song is about drug addiction, plain and simple. This song has to have some of the best guitar arrangements I've heard from Metallica, going from hard thrash down to James' softer solo, then blows into an absolutely sick solo by Kirk and then back to thrash. Wicked track and still an all-time fav. 03. The Thing That Should Not Be - a few people out there may want to shoot me for this but I did not like this song one bit. I don't know what it is but ever since I first heard this track I just didn't like it. In fact I like the S&M version better (I hated that too). The only plus is Cliffs' bass playing. 04. Welcome Home (Sanitarium) - a really cool and trippy intro to this one. Another great tune although I'm really not sure what it's about. 05. Disposable Heros - a song about war! Great tune and a long one at that (as long as Puppets if not longer). Another great solo by Kirk. 06. Leper Messiah - this was another track that I didn't really like (at first), but unlike "the song that should not be" (no that's not a typo), I actually grew to like this tune, especially after hearing it live, and it has a pretty cool solo. 07. Orion - out of all thier instrumental tunes, this one takes the cake. Over 8 mins long and not the least bit drawn out, it has an absolutley amazing bass solo to it (sorry I'm Cliff biased I really am) not to mention amazing guitar work by both James and Kirk. 08. Damage Inc. - great track but man that intro almost made me change songs when I first got to this one, but damn I'm glad I stuck it through. This track goes from strange to wicked if you can stand that intro. Great song and a great closer to an absolutley wicked album.

Overall, I found this album to kick as much ass as any of that new shit that's going around right now. Seriously, if your one of those nu-metal punks who think screaming is hardcore, go out and buy this one, this is real metal, real metal with real solos and real drumming and omg real singing. I mean come on, anyone who's heard of Metallica has had to have heard this. If anyone had the gall to actually take this album away from me, lets just say they won't be walking right for a good long while. Another awesome album by a killer (and real) band.

Linchpin
    This was my first Metallica and what pretty much got me into metal in the first place...If Metallica's new cd is half as good as this one it'll be the best album since
    KingABX345
    this is by far not only 1 of the best Metallica Albums ever but also one of the best metal albums ever to
    tuabuela
    i myself dont like metal but mettalica is not a band they are gods with instrument and overall master of puppets is the best album they have released
    Phantom_Lord783
    kitrx wrote: changed my life...all I have to say
    Nerdo-sez-bo
    Changed me in ways words can't start to describe. That first riff in Master Of Puppets made me play guitar, if not everything else on here.
    scottishmob
    Phantom_Lord783 wrote: kitrx wrote: changed my life...all I have to say Same here man. This is the album that got me into heavy metal AND made me want to play the guitar.
    Agreed