Master of Puppets review by Metallica

• Released: Mar 3, 1986
  • Users' score: 9.4 (2,571 votes)
Metallica: Master of Puppets

One of the best bands to come out of the '80s, Metallica's sound is usually pretty much just a straight forward assault of speed heavy metal. But the defenition of '80s thrash/speed metal is defined best on this album, with songs like Battery and Damage, Inc. Really, the sound of the album isn't varied much throughout, a lot of amazing solos and power chord arrangements, but you'll find a very different song in Orion. Driven by a catchy bass line and some prog/rock like guitar solos, it really adds atmosphere to the album.

The lyrics are beyond top notch on this album, the whole loose based concept of the album flows extra well. Some of the best lyrics come from the songs Master of Puppets, Welcome Home (Sanitarium), Disposable Heroes and Leper Messiah. The subject of the lyrics can range from drug addiction to religious power control and aggression. And of course, the lyrics fit the music perfectly, just take Battery for example. Not too many songs can get me pumped up yet when you think 'bout it and take a look at the lyrics, you'll see how the music fits the lyrics. As far as the singer goes, well, Hetfield does the job but nothing more, not a great singer, but not bad at all either, or atleast I think so.

So far I'd say it's Metallica in their prime and their best album in their discography. All the songs as a whole are impressive which make the album much more enjoyable all the way through. Although, I wouldn't recommend this album to people looking into geting into this band rather I'd rather reccomend Ride The Lightning (Previous album before MoP) because at times MoP can get a tad repetitive and at even at times a bit fast for the occasional listener. All in all classic album, just don't see albums released like this anymore.

crfowler_09
    demiphoenix
    i hate the black album, but ride the lightning has the special place in my heart. It may not be the "best" like Master of Puppets... But Ride the Lightning just does something special for me.
    demiphoenix
    I know for this i'll burn for a thousand years in hell... but no matter how many times i listen to it, I can't like orion...
    vampyryca
    crfowler_09 wrote: This is a staple in the music industry. MoP is the damn best 80's rock album period for several reasons: Cliff Burton played active bass amongst two heavy guitars and didn't make it sound cluttered. Turn bass boost on and listen to Leper Messiah. My favorite Metallica bassline to date (For Whom the Bell Tolls is pure genius also.) Kirk Hammett picked up the ****ed up pieces from the reign of Dave Mustaine flawlessly. Welcome Home Sanitarium is absolute beastage. James stopped screaming and got his signature sound. He duetted pretty damn well on MoP, something abit weird from a rhythm guitarist. I don't play drums, but Lars absolutely makes me wanna bash something. So ****ing loud, he's a great metal drummer. I dare someone to say Megadeth is better. Or Anthrax.
    FUCK YEA!!!!!