Master of Puppets review by Metallica

• Released: Mar 3, 1986
  • Users' score: 9.4 (2,571 votes)
Metallica: Master of Puppets

This is most likely Metallica's definitive album, and is one of the most influential heavy metal albums of all time. The majority of the album is based around heavy, thrashy riffs and some very fast songs. The title track is one of their most famous songs, and is one of three songs on this album that are over eight minutes. The second to last track, "Orion" is an instrumental. Personally, this is one of my top ten favorite metal albums. There is literally nothing to dislike here.

James Hetfield is a very good singer, and has a distinctive voice. It's incredible to me that he can still sing perfectly while playing such fast songs. It seems to me that the lyrics deal with social issues in some way. The agressive lyrics work great with the overall intensity of the music. 01. Battery - starts off with acoustic guitars for about 37 seconds, then slams into electrics. At around 1:05 the song kicks into high gear with an extremely fast, heavy riff. Hetfield practically has to rap the vocals the song is going so fast. The guitar solos are incredible. All these factors contribute to an awesome album opener, and one of my favorite songs on the album. This song is also really fun to learn to play on guitar. 02. Master Of Puppets - this is what Metallica is all about, right here. If someone asks you, "What's Metallica like?" you play them this song. Some awesome guitar solos on this track, the first one is done by Hetfield, the second by Kirk Hammett. Over eight and a half minutes long. 03. The Thing That Should Not Be - a little bit slower, more of a grinding song. This one's pretty good, but not one of the best from the album. The solo is pretty good, but a little short. 04. Welcome Home (Sanitarium) - this is kind of a ballad. This has a few guitar solos, and all are really good. I really love this song. 05. Disposable Heroes - this is one of my favorites from this album. It's extremely fast throughout it's 8:17 length. The guitar solo is mind-blowingly awesome. The drums are also insane; Lars must have practically died when he recorded this. This one will really get you headbangin'! 06. Leper Messiah - starts out with Lars counting down, then slaps you in the face with an unbelievably heavy riff. They did that in standard tuning? Crazy! This is a very memorable song. 07. Orion - an instrumental song, one of the greatest I have ever heard. Many great guitar solos, Hetfield does the second one. About eight and a half minutes long. Includes a Cliff Burton bass solo. 08. Damage, Inc. - starts out with a very interesting bass solo, courtesy of Cliff Burton. The song starts kicking ass around 1:19, and goes into another freakishly fast riff. This song says the "F" word a couple times, but hey, that's metal, right? The guitar solo is full tilt the whole time, and it's one of my favorite solos of all time. Fantastic way to close a fantastic album.

This a great album, and is one of the most iconic thrash metal albums of all time. It marks Metallica's last album with bassist Cliff Burton. He sadly died in a tour bus accident on September 27, 1986 (which is a day after my birthday). I love everything about this album; to me, there isn't anything to hate. If it were lost or stolen, I would cease to exist. If you're a fan of metal, this is an essential album to own.

All0utR0ck
    Yeah save the one hit wonder remark for bands like Poison and Billy Ray Cyrus, please.
    MASTER JiMMY
    i respect everyones opinion except Josu's. Master of Puppets isnt souly about drug addiction, its about being in a powerless situatuion and manipulation in general (just to sum it up) and how can you call To Live is to Die boring? Boring? Are you ****ing serious? Boring? and Orion? Boring aswell? they should have filters on this site to stop people like you posting reviews like this. Disposable heroes and Leper Messiah will ****in break your neck. And Damage, Inc finishes perfectly, there couldnt possibly be a better ending, That last chord is just the bullet hitting his chest and ifnishin him off then and there. And the reason why Lars doesnt double kick is coz he wasnt fast enough for that song back then, if u listen to recent live versions (perhaps startin with the S&M for you, you starter fan) you will hear that Lars finds some patches where he sneaks in some double kick for you, are u satisfied? I dont see how u can complain with the guitar work and drum fills already punching you in the face. Man i just wanna slap you
    MASTER JiMMY
    what state do u live in dingle_69? if it werent for Puppets The bands you listen to would be brick layers or unemployed
    MASTER JiMMY
    cj8356 wrote: please tell me i didn't see MoP referenced to as a"one hit wonder"...
    if u consider that a one hit wonder can last 7 years then i guess they are lol but no, sayin that this album is a one hit wonder is undebatable it simply is not.