Master of Puppets review by Metallica

• Released: Mar 3, 1986
  • Users' score: 9.4 (2,574 votes)
Metallica: Master of Puppets

Well, let's see, why am I reviewing this totally vulgar display of awesomeness, this feast of speed metal mayhem? Okay, if you hadn't guessed already, I find this CD, Metallica's Master Of Puppets, one of the best CDs I have ever had the pleasure to listen to. Overall, the CD touches every base. On the 'breathtaking speed' side, there's Battery, Damage Inc., the title track, and Disposable Heroes, the first two starting out with an acoustic introduction. Both songs rage with speed, power, great drumming, thanks to Lars Ulrich. It is an innovative sound, crossing hardcore thrash with something slightly more mainstream. Orion, the instrumental, is a good tune, a stage classic, a memento to bass master (RIP) Cliff Burton, who died in a tour bus crash just months after the release. The other songs (The Thing That Should Not Be, Leper Messiah, and Welcome Home (Sanitarium)) are slower, but still packed with anger and aggression, still sounding better than their post-1991 sound even at the same tempos. There is no weak point (at all) on this CD. It's straight-up awesomeness! The only complaint I have about the album's sound is that guitars could have been more distorted for an even heavier sound, but it was the 1980s, so it's cool. Lars' drumming is good. But not Dave Lombardo (of Slayer) good.

Oh, God. James Hetfield must be one hell of a multi-tasker. Writing lyrics about insanity, death, and destruction, then playing amazing rhythm guitar tracks while singing said lyrics takes a special kind of talent. Hetfield's vocals are arguably the best of the thrash pack's, over Slayer's shouting, Anthrax's half-shouted, half-sung (high sung), and Megadeth's growly, slightly whiny vocals. Hetfield has an unmistakable growl here that spouts out lyrics with a vengeance. He adds little tidbits here and there that make the songs even more effective. Group-shouted vocals in Battery also help. The lyrics themselves are clean (aside from Damage, Inc.) so those with nosy parents are well-off, and though not as, say, interesting, as those of Slayer or Megadeth, they are well-written and powerful.

Overall, this CD is a definite buy for any metalhead. It ranks up in my top three beside Slayer's masterful Reign In Blood and Led Zeppelin's immortal IV. I overall, can't say I hate anything here (surprising for one as critical as myself). Master of Puppets, Battery, and Damage Inc. and superb masterpieces that rock harder than ever before in Metallica's lifetime (and, ironically, ever since). Sadly, this CD (after a friend borrowed it), broke when I was carrying it in my pocket and someone kicked the same pocket. I cried when I looked at it afterwards. So yes, it's that good. Buy it now, it's probably not just the best Metallica, thrash, or metal album, but the best thing to come out of the '80s, like, ever.

Explorer Man
    Yea i agree rust in peace is equal and quite possibly better the MoP.
    extrememetal129
    LakeboDom wrote: bnull24 wrote: The last Metallica song Dave Mustaine contributed to was the song "Ride the Lightning." He wrote some of the riffs in that song, and wrote nothing else for Metallica ever after that. If Megadeth is so great, why didn't they reign as the biggest band in the world for several years like Metallica did? Bottom line: Master of Puppets will destroy any Megadeth album ever. As will many other Metallica albums. Master of Puppets Is one of my favorite albums and possibly one of the best ever but it cant destroy Rust in Peace the guitar work is amazing on that album. Yea i agree rust in peace is equal and quite possibly better the MoP. wtf man! rust in peace ain't as good as mop, but slayer's reign in blood would come close.
    kfong03
    how about vulgar by pantera? lot's of nice riffage and solos there...
    spaceace12342
    the_rev wrote: not as good as the black album, but still an amazing album!!
    are you kidding me man? i mean, i love the black album and all, but dude, thats blasphemy.
    Smithsc
    Amazing,wow! Will always be my faviorite album of all time no matter what. From start to end, I cant listen to this without playing it all the way through! Orion is truly a masterpiece!
    extrememetal129
    Nightsrider is a piece of shit. He invented a new genre "Pop Metal". Congrats! I don't listen to slipknot, but i say MoP is the best metal album. In my opinion, death, suffocation and Morbid Angel are the most brutal death bands. I tell you Cannibal Corpse has sold out. Butchered at birth is quite possibly the best death metal album. In my opinion following are the three best metal albums: Master of Puppets by Metallia Reign in blood by Slayer Hvis Lyset Tar Oss by Burzum.
    [x]Huffy[x]
    Nightstrider wrote: scottishmob wrote: Set-Abominae wrote: Didn't Mustaine write "Call Of Ktulu"? I remember hearing that somewhere... But regardless, whoever wrote that song deserves a ****ing promotion to "God Among Men". "Ktulu" absolutely blows away "Orion", IMO. Oh and Cliff Burton > God. Nightstrider wrote: Yup. Mustaine wrote Ktulu, although its original title was "When Hell Freezes Over". It was renamed by Cliff Burton because he was a huge Lovecraft fan. Cowrote children, cowrote. No, actually Mustaine wrote the majority of the song. Look it up. Besides, I find that the generally repetitive and derivative nature of the post-Mustaine years more or less proves that Mustaine had a greater hand in Metallica's early songwriting then the band would like to admit.
    Good job he didn't write lyrics then, isn't it?
    pantallica95
    all of the songs are great. the only coplaint i have is that the intro on damage inc. is way too long. 1:15 before the ass-kicking begins. master is the best metallica album.