Master of Puppets review by Metallica

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Mar 3, 1986
  • Sound: 8
  • Lyrics: 8
  • Overall Impression: 8
  • Reviewer's score: 8 Superb
  • Users' score: 9.4 (2,573 votes)
Metallica: Master of Puppets
0

Sound — 8
The sound of the record when compared to anything today, is in all honesty, very bland. It sounds somewhat muddled and kind of smeared together. This doesn't ruin the album by any means. The guitar work is audible, the bass is faint, but my gripe is that the drums really fall into the background. I have no preference of instruments, but being the backbone of the band, the percussion should be a bit more notable. The drums on... And Justice for All were stamps of Lars in his prime. Crisp, clicky, and in your face. To me this album lacks that punch.

Lyrics — 8
Truth be told, the best lyrics on this album do not rest in the title track. *GASP* To me the best lyrics are in the worst song on the CD. "The Thing That Should Not Be". They paint a picture that no other song can. "Battery" and "Damage INC" lack that refinement. As if they belonged on Kill em All. The title track does have its moments, but it just ends up stating the same thing over again in each verse. "Welcome Home" would be better had the lyrics at the end made more of a connection to the early verses. They seem to just drift off (which may have been the point). James hit his prime on AJFA and the Black album. Here he is still a bit raw and quiet. His voice lacks the force of the latter records and in many of the songs seems to fade behind the guitars.

Overall Impression — 8
In all, this is not Metallica's best work. It is a milestone, it is iconic, but it is not their zenith. To me ...And Justice for All perfected what Metallica was and is known global for. Master of Puppets was a prerequisite step to attain that perfection. Battery and Damage INC will go down as some of the best start and end points of any album, but again, AJFA just out does every couterpart song. Except for the title track. That song is the face of Metallica (enter sandman a close second). The replay value of this CD is near endless, but in times will wear out. To me, this is the order of the Metallica masterpieces: ...And Justice for All, Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets. Enjoy the thrash revolution!

71 comments sorted by best / new / date

    rich420
    Josue wrote: "The Call Of Ktulu" was downright boring as was "To Live Is To Die."
    Fuck You
    rich420
    josue wrote: "The Call Of Ktulu" was downright boring as was "To Live Is To Die."
    Fuck You
    JPetrucci25
    finest metal album ever. none will ever be better. NONE. no band from present to future can make anything this good.
    ACDCfan1103
    orange_juice wrote: I don't like metal, but the song master of puppets is amazing. lmao the bassist got squished by a bus
    Dude, That's Not Funny.
    lifeseternal
    KingCheesehead wrote: lifeseternal wrote: **** you all metallica rules and megadeth kick ass!!! ... Jesus, is that you?
    yeah men, 1 mother****er quote my comment, yeah!!!!
    mr. ...
    Wardster wrote: dave wrote half this album! Megadeth r better than metallica
    uhh.... wrong. the furthest dave's writings went was ride the lightning. he wrote the title track and the call of ktulu. he was not invilved in master of puppets at all. best metal album of all time
    j-walk
    And justice for all is the best metal album of all time. And how come no one gives any shout outs to Kill em all?
    corrda00
    GiR 2.0 wrote: orange_juice wrote: I don't like metal, but the song master of puppets is amazing. lmao the bassist got squished by a bus And that's effing funny to you? The fact the god bassist CLIFF BURTON gets killed . If it weren't for him, you wouldn't have Master. Nobody'd be bitching that METALLICA sold out. NOBODY. He's dead, and now you're saying that he's dead and you're apparently laughing your ass off? Is that funny to you?! IS IT?!!! IS IT!!!!!???!!!!! Sorry. But that's not the first time I've lashed out at people like that. I've been on two other articles...and boy do I rant.I rant like a chines bloody hound.
    Cliff Burton= WIN
    slaygod666
    btw the"black" album is hard rock not thrash so please stop kidding urselves with trying to compare it to there thrash stuff...black is a whole new ball game thrash for metallica is no longer besides there live stuff but james ruins it with his singing lol
    tallicafan91
    did the guy from the first review said that disposable heroes and lepper messiah are unmemorable??? seriously those songs are just as good as the others in the album!! Master of puppets truly is a masterpiece, and IMO shares places with the number of the beast and peace sells for the best metal album ever.
    TheJudasKiss
    Megadeth's music does absolutely nothing for me. Nothing. Metallica on the other hand, they're the reason why I am who I am today. I can honestly say, I love every single album they've ever put out. Including St. Anger.
    gh3man1
    orion, master of puppets and battery and of course sanatarium our my favorite songs on the album.....also metallica beats megadeth any day cause megadeths music sounds crappppp.....
    Joe!?
    Just some facts for Randy Bobandy, Dave mustaine only wrote any music for metallica on kill em all, Master of puppets was written by metallica and it beats any album megadeth has ever made.
    trivium036
    Ride the lightning is better than MoP in my opinion... surprisingly i found MoP to become boring half way through, dont get me wrong its a good album, but rtl shall always over power it.
    Randy Bobandy
    [quote]oh and by the way, "Master of Puppets and "The Dark" both were released and recorded at the same time...so feel free to explain how either one could have copied the other.[quote] Metal Church formed in 1980 Metallica formed 1981 That song (Over My Dead Body) was written as demo before Metallica was even a band. Your just a fanboy. Anyone with an IQ above 50 knows that Dave was the main source for song ideas for Metallica. Then he got kicked out and they started to suck while Megadeth has always put good/amazing material out. Rust in Peace> Metallica's entire career. You do the math.
    Orion999
    Randy Bobandy wrote: [quote]oh and by the way, "Master of Puppets and "The Dark" both were released and recorded at the same time...so feel free to explain how either one could have copied the other.[quote] Metal Church formed in 1980 Metallica formed 1981 That song (Over My Dead Body) was written as demo before Metallica was even a band. Your just a fanboy. Anyone with an IQ above 50 knows that Dave was the main source for song ideas for Metallica. Then he got kicked out and they started to suck while Megadeth has always put good/amazing material out. Rust in Peace> Metallica's entire career. You do the math.
    Oh boy. Here we go again. What are you, some kind of child man? Listen bro you need to get out into the world and educate yourself. Leave your darkened little room, shave your mullet, and grow up. Realize that anyone with any maturity wouldn't stoop to a reliance on insults. Calling me a "fanboy" does nothing to help your argument. A fan I am, and proud of that fact. No attempt on your part to disparage that will help disguise your garbage attempt to disprove me. You have offered ZERO realistic evidence for how, in any way, "Over My Dead Body" was ripped by Metallica. Here's an alternative theory. Metallica are appropriately praised as innovators by people far more educated and intelligent than you. For whatever reason you don't like that fact. Fine. You're entitled to your opinion. Ultimately you clearly think that by worshiping more obscure bands and going off the "beaten track" it somehow legitimizes you. And to be honest...I can kind of understand that. But in truth it really doesn't. Liking some obscure barely known metal band for that reason alone is as retarded as liking a band because it's popular. Even if MoP was ripped partially from OMDB the former is a way better song...and since when did "ripping" A.K.A. influence ever NOT exist in music. Because everyone copied Sabbath and Zeppelin, and before that everyone copied the Beatles. It's not about where your material comes from, it's about what you do with it. And MoP is leaps and bounds ahead of anything. Furthermore, Megadeth is, in MY opinion, infinately inferior. Rust in Peace is on it's knees sucking the quadrupal dick of Kill, Ride, Puppets, and Justice.
    Randy Bobandy
    thenextkirk92 wrote: Randy Bobandy wrote: slaygod666 wrote: Wardster : dave wrote half this album! Megadeth r better than metallica actually, you idiot, dave mustaine only wrote part of 3 songs from "kill em all", metallica's first album. he was kicked out in 1983. this album came out in 1986. he didnt write any of it, so shut up and listen to your shitty megadeth (and just so yall know, i have actually listened to megadeth "peace sells", "symphony of destruction", "hangar 18" and none of it is that great. maybe its just mustaines voice, but theyre not that great, sorry.)...yeah dave did write a song that metallica stoled from him on this album...the thing that should not be is mustanes...it was to be called the hills ran red...get ur facts right if u r goin to prove anyone wrong lol. Your dumb. He wrote about 80% of Kill Em All, several big tracks of RTL, and some ideas that showed up on MOP. If you actually LISTENED TO THE SONGS ON THESE EARLY RECORDS YOU WOULD BE ABLE TO TELL A DAVE SONG!Dave Mustaine has such an identifiable style that you can tell. Listen to Leper Messiah, listen to the solos and leads, that is 100% Dave Mustaine. Then listen to the shit Hammet does and it doesn't even stand on the same level. Listen to the shitty-ness of post MOP Metallica. You know why it sucks? They ran out of stolen Dave riffs. ok you want to talk about stealing music. "One" came out in 1988. Then in 1992 "Architecture of Aggression" came out. One has gun fire at the start and guess what, so does AoA. Then there is The Call Of Ktulu and Hangar 18. Both have the same chords played but Hangar 18 came out after TCOK. The Four Horsemen and The Mechanix. SEE THE PATTERN!
    Dave wrote Call to Ktulu and FourHorsemen,which was originally called "Mechanix", dicktree.
    Randy Bobandy
    thenextkirk92 wrote: Randy Bobandy wrote: slaygod666 wrote: Wardster : dave wrote half this album! Megadeth r better than metallica actually, you idiot, dave mustaine only wrote part of 3 songs from "kill em all", metallica's first album. he was kicked out in 1983. this album came out in 1986. he didnt write any of it, so shut up and listen to your shitty megadeth (and just so yall know, i have actually listened to megadeth "peace sells", "symphony of destruction", "hangar 18" and none of it is that great. maybe its just mustaines voice, but theyre not that great, sorry.)...yeah dave did write a song that metallica stoled from him on this album...the thing that should not be is mustanes...it was to be called the hills ran red...get ur facts right if u r goin to prove anyone wrong lol. Your dumb. He wrote about 80% of Kill Em All, several big tracks of RTL, and some ideas that showed up on MOP. If you actually LISTENED TO THE SONGS ON THESE EARLY RECORDS YOU WOULD BE ABLE TO TELL A DAVE SONG!Dave Mustaine has such an identifiable style that you can tell. Listen to Leper Messiah, listen to the solos and leads, that is 100% Dave Mustaine. Then listen to the shit Hammet does and it doesn't even stand on the same level. Listen to the shitty-ness of post MOP Metallica. You know why it sucks? They ran out of stolen Dave riffs. ok you want to talk about stealing music. "One" came out in 1988. Then in 1992 "Architecture of Aggression" came out. One has gun fire at the start and guess what, so does AoA. Then there is The Call Of Ktulu and Hangar 18. Both have the same chords played but Hangar 18 came out after TCOK. The Four Horsemen and The Mechanix. SEE THE PATTERN!
    Wow so I guess post production sound effects counts as songwritting to you?
    thenextkirk92
    Randy Bobandy wrote: slaygod666 wrote: Wardster : dave wrote half this album! Megadeth r better than metallica actually, you idiot, dave mustaine only wrote part of 3 songs from "kill em all", metallica's first album. he was kicked out in 1983. this album came out in 1986. he didnt write any of it, so shut up and listen to your shitty megadeth (and just so yall know, i have actually listened to megadeth "peace sells", "symphony of destruction", "hangar 18" and none of it is that great. maybe its just mustaines voice, but theyre not that great, sorry.)...yeah dave did write a song that metallica stoled from him on this album...the thing that should not be is mustanes...it was to be called the hills ran red...get ur facts right if u r goin to prove anyone wrong lol. Your dumb. He wrote about 80% of Kill Em All, several big tracks of RTL, and some ideas that showed up on MOP. If you actually LISTENED TO THE SONGS ON THESE EARLY RECORDS YOU WOULD BE ABLE TO TELL A DAVE SONG!Dave Mustaine has such an identifiable style that you can tell. Listen to Leper Messiah, listen to the solos and leads, that is 100% Dave Mustaine. Then listen to the shit Hammet does and it doesn't even stand on the same level. Listen to the shitty-ness of post MOP Metallica. You know why it sucks? They ran out of stolen Dave riffs.
    ok you want to talk about stealing music. "One" came out in 1988. Then in 1992 "Architecture of Aggression" came out. One has gun fire at the start and guess what, so does AoA. Then there is The Call Of Ktulu and Hangar 18. Both have the same chords played but Hangar 18 came out after TCOK. The Four Horsemen and The Mechanix. SEE THE PATTERN!
    thenextkirk92
    Wardster wrote: dave wrote half this album! Megadeth r better than metallica
    um dave had been out of the band for about 5 years so i dont see how he could have written it
    Randy Bobandy
    slaygod666 wrote: Wardster : dave wrote half this album! Megadeth r better than metallica actually, you idiot, dave mustaine only wrote part of 3 songs from "kill em all", metallica's first album. he was kicked out in 1983. this album came out in 1986. he didnt write any of it, so shut up and listen to your shitty megadeth (and just so yall know, i have actually listened to megadeth "peace sells", "symphony of destruction", "hangar 18" and none of it is that great. maybe its just mustaines voice, but theyre not that great, sorry.)...yeah dave did write a song that metallica stoled from him on this album...the thing that should not be is mustanes...it was to be called the hills ran red...get ur facts right if u r goin to prove anyone wrong lol.
    Your dumb. He wrote about 80% of Kill Em All, several big tracks of RTL, and some ideas that showed up on MOP. If you actually LISTENED TO THE SONGS ON THESE EARLY RECORDS YOU WOULD BE ABLE TO TELL A DAVE SONG!Dave Mustaine has such an identifiable style that you can tell. Listen to Leper Messiah, listen to the solos and leads, that is 100% Dave Mustaine. Then listen to the shit Hammet does and it doesn't even stand on the same level. Listen to the shitty-ness of post MOP Metallica. You know why it sucks? They ran out of stolen Dave riffs.
    Mr.G
    disposable heroes, leper messiah and orion are top notch metal songs, this is my all time favorite album by metallica, followed closely behind with justce for all. i disagree with the authors overall attitude, but then again its the eye of the beholder
    [x]Huffy[x]
    Thrash? Slayer play fast, heavy nu-metal. They used to play thrash. Kerry King even threw a bitchfit just because Rick Rubin would rather work with Metallica than Slayer.
    slaygod666
    sha right dude when is metallica going to ever rule slayer huh huh huh give me one time the ruled over slayer? atleast for over 20 years slayer gave us there best...well master of puppets is close but not over there work...when is everyone going to see that metallica as a thrash unit no longer is alive it is hard rock metallica because they could not hold up the hard work lol as for slayer they r always bringing there "A" thrash game to every album. enough said.
    [x]Huffy[x]
    slaygod666 wrote: oh by the way lars was going to be in a band with one of metal church members b4 both bands got there start so yeah i can agree with whoever said one of the riffs was lifted from metal church lol metallica r nothing but a bunch of thieves...look real hard at there history if u can that is...go ahead prove me wrong.
    ...No he wasn't. Ulrich was NEVER in a band with any metal church members, and he was never going to be. Metallica were the biggest innovators in Metal, and you are a fool to deny it. Oh and by the way, Metallica never ripped off Metal Church. The Dark was released AFTER Master Of Puppets. There we go, proved you wrong.
    Blackening
    spaceace12342 wrote: the_rev wrote: not as good as the black album, but still an amazing album!! are you kidding me man? i mean, i love the black album and all, but dude, thats blasphemy.
    oh yeah
    MegaEgga
    MoP is great but Justice is definetely my favourite, btw there are some chord progressions Dave Mustaine wrote and showed to Metallica which were used in Disposable Heroes (or was it Leper Messiah?), can't remember which one, anyway so Ride the Lightning wasn't the last album he contributed to, even though it was a small contribution MoP was the last he contributed to. Btw who the **** said Call of Ktulu and To Live is to die are boring!? Call of Ktulu is probably my number 1 fav Metallica song, its so evil, so scary, so ****ing crunchy!! Anyway, both Megadeth and Metallica RULE! METAL UP YOUR ASS!!
    evil_armada
    guess im the only person in the world that thinks master of puppets isnt even a good song then hey. lol
    kfong03
    orange_juice wrote: I don't like metal, but the song master of puppets is amazing. lmao the bassist got squished by a bus
    show some respect man
    genresrforposer
    Metalology wrote: "Leaper Messiah" is about a freak show METSOAD, it's not about a freakshow. It's about T.V. evangelists and religions that are just out for your money.
    well that's kinda..... you're both right
    SiKthtallica669
    It's a damn good album. I always play Orion on my bass. OH, Disposable Heroes is awesome, and Chimaira did a cover of it. R.I.P. Cliff, you changed our lives forever.
    Randy Bobandy
    [quote]The last Metallica song Dave Mustaine contributed to was the song "Ride the Lightning[quote] Uh WRONG! He wrote Leper Messiah and some parts on Puppets too. Also the main riff from Master of Puppets was ripped off from a Metal Church song called "Over My Dead Body". 90% of the people on this page don'teven know WTF they are talking about. Most of them are little pre-teens who got into metal music last year. MOP is just O.K.,really overrated, but still decent. There is alot better thrash that came out during this time, its just the MOP was the start of Metallica becoming this commercial virus. They sold out right here, not the Black Album, kiddies.
    Orion999
    Randy Bobandy wrote: [quote]The last Metallica song Dave Mustaine contributed to was the song "Ride the Lightning[quote] Uh WRONG! He wrote Leper Messiah and some parts on Puppets too. Also the main riff from Master of Puppets was ripped off from a Metal Church song called "Over My Dead Body". 90% of the people on this page don'teven know WTF they are talking about. Most of them are little pre-teens who got into metal music last year. MOP is just O.K.,really overrated, but still decent. There is alot better thrash that came out during this time, its just the MOP was the start of Metallica becoming this commercial virus. They sold out right here, not the Black Album, kiddies.
    You, sir, are a fool in no uncertain terms. And in your haste to condemn others for their lack of "knowledge" you reveal your own ignorance. Dave Mustaine's contributions to every album post "Kill 'Em All" are vastly overrated by the vaunted "thrash purist" community who's sole purpose seems to be to unjustifiably discredit everything ever done by Metallica. Nonsense. I respect Dave Mustaine as an artist, but IF there ever was a hanger on, he is it. His albums and material have been a lesser shadow of Metallica's from the beginning. To even suggest Metallica owes him anything in the way of musical complexity or depth is outrageous. The man simply doesn't possess the understanding to grapple with the themes and depth Metallica has regularly shown to be their element. He nearly started a riot in Ireland because of his superficial understanding of the politics (supposedly his greatest lyrical strength) surrounding the Irish Republican Army and their quest for autonomy from Great Britain. As to your second laughable argument. "Over My Dead Body's" main riff bears only passing resemblance to ONE of the many riffs in "Master of Puppets" that merely serves as an interlude between the chorus and the verse riffs. Although I suppose to the untrained ear it might sound similar. Nevermind the fact that when Metal Church needed a new guitarist in 1989 they chose Metallica's guitar tech- John Marshall...oh and by the way, "Master of Puppets and "The Dark" both were released and recorded at the same time...so feel free to explain how either one could have copied the other. Finally, there are no better thrash albums; Master of Puppets is the apex. This is a fact virtually undisputed by anyone inside or outside the metal community. Nor is it less than four years before Metallica's first flirtation with commercialism. Everything you have said is not only incorrect, but utterly assinine. And where your points are actually up for debate, you discredit them with your overall lack of anything approaching knowledge. You are simply a bitter little man with an agenda who attempts to bully supposedly lesser individuals thinking that by naming a few out of the way bands people will be in awe of your supposed metalness. You fail. Watch Billy Madison and then understand what I mean when I say that...what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this [forum] is now dumber for having [read] it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul. -3
    slaygod666
    Wardster : dave wrote half this album! Megadeth r better than metallica actually, you idiot, dave mustaine only wrote part of 3 songs from "kill em all", metallica's first album. he was kicked out in 1983. this album came out in 1986. he didnt write any of it, so shut up and listen to your shitty megadeth (and just so yall know, i have actually listened to megadeth "peace sells", "symphony of destruction", "hangar 18" and none of it is that great. maybe its just mustaines voice, but theyre not that great, sorry.)...yeah dave did write a song that metallica stoled from him on this album...the thing that should not be is mustanes...it was to be called the hills ran red...get ur facts right if u r goin to prove anyone wrong lol.