Master of Puppets review by Metallica

• Released: Mar 3, 1986
  • Users' score: 9.4 (2,572 votes)
Metallica: Master of Puppets

A good strong album for Metallica, one of their best in my opinoin. The music in this album is pretty diverse as they have fast paced heavy songs such as Battery, and Disposable Heroes versus slow and melodic songs like Welcome Home(Sanitarium) and the diversity even goes so far as to place an instrumental song, Orion, in the album. I think the sound represents the whole idea of Metallica being an awesome, true metal band. The one thing about Metallica that never goes away is theat they have almost a perfect sense of rhythm and timing, Lars seems to always keep everyone together and on time. That makes for easy mixing, when adding special effects. Best song soundwise for this album is Master Of Puppets.

The lyrics in this album are pretty deep, but they don't got to far and are very easy to grasp and understand. A lot of music by Mettalica focuses on or around death, especially with their new album Death Magnetic. In Master of Puppets it is the same theme except a little more abstract, the idea of someone controlling your life like a puppet deciding when you die. But the most amazing set of lyrics on this album is the of The Welcome Home(Sanitarium) track. The idea of being trapped inside a mental institute and starting a revolt from within is a very unique idea that has not been used by many, I wonder how the band came up with that anyway. Another good song with great lyrics was Disposable Heroes, that is an interesting storyline, and I wonder if it lead to the creation of One, on the Justice For All album. But the best song lyrically on this album was Welcome Home(Sanitarium).

The overall impression of the album was great, and leaves the listener feeling like they just want to get lost in the music that the band creates. In comparison to other Metallica albums I think that this is the best when you look at the newer stuff Metallica has come up with, but when compared to the older albums I'm not so sure that it's their best. Definetly a most memorable album that we will all hold close on our record shelves. The best song overall for this particular album is Master of Puppets.