Master of Puppets review by Metallica

• Released: Mar 3, 1986
  • Users' score: 9.4 (2,571 votes)
Metallica: Master of Puppets

After winning me over with Ride The Lightning, I couldn't wait for their new album. After two long years, Metallica came back wih their greatest album. And this album couldn't be anymore than their magnum opus, Master Of Puppets. Kirk's and James' guitars come with the crunchiest and punchiest sound in any album, Lars' drums pound as if God himself was playing and last but not least, the bass playing from the late Cliff Burton couldn't have beeen any more clearer and perfected than it was.

Let's break each song one by one: 01.Battery: anyone who has truly experienced rage knows that there is hardly anything more potent and pure than that rush, and they are reminded of that when they hear this song. The song structure itself is a microcosm of the event, with the clean guitar piece in the beginning, escalating to that frenzied riff. Hmmmph, think I'll go out and smash something now... 10/10 02.Master Of Puppets: Battery has ended. A slight whisper of the silent tape mars the perfect silence. A lethal guitar sound starts. I had resolved to resist it this time. It's no use. The right finger moves towards the volume wheel of the Walkman steadily, as if under the command of a spell. The sound output increases to a maximum. My headphones pump the music inches from my soft, pink brain. The eyes are wide, slightly tearful as the brain reels under the assault of heavy metal music at its best and fiercest. I am carried through music sweet and bitter till a million heads laugh in my head. I manage to gather myself together, just sufficiently to push stop. I am as if stoned. 100/10 03.The Thing That Should Not Be: the song isn't as inspiring, or as technically impressive as the other songs on Master of Puppets, but the atmosphere more than makes up for it. This song will be 10X better if you read "The Call of Cthulu" by H.P. Lovecraft. The song itself sounds like it's going insane, and the repetitive nature of the song is meant to be oppressive and maddening. This song is just way too heavy for some people, and those are the people that don't like it. Definitely one of the heaviest(in the truest sense of the word) metal songs ever recorded. 9/10 04.Welcome Home (Sanitarium): the song is a confession from a man who lives in a society where he's misunderstood and where if he tries to think against society's will he becomes a sort of an outcast. They try to send him 'straight' boycotting him blaming him for things that aren't true labeling him 'mentally deranged'. He takes refuge in his own world of dreams. He wishes the world would be a better place to be. In his mind he creates a revolution, which is bound to fail. It's a cry for help, unheard by anyone. 8/10 05.Disposable Heroes: I love this song because our government feeds us propaganda from the time we're born to think that being a soldier is so glamorous, but in reality the government doesn't give a shit out of any of us and every soldier is really just a disposable tool the buereaucratic machine exploits to get more money and then just throws it away, because there is an endless supply of disposable heroes. We all need to escape the governments mind control over us and think for ourselves. Just ask yourself what you're fighting for? Is it worth your life to maintain safety and prosperity for the rich and greedy? For the ones that make you 50 hours a week, holding a shitty wage over your head, and controlling your life with a dollar bill. The fact that they attempt to screw you in every situation possible? America brainwashes us to think we're fighting to maintain the great American way of life, but the "great American life" is a life of slavery. 9/10 06.Leper Messiah: the first time I read the lyrics to this song I thought they were condemning Christianity and religion in general, now that I reread them, however, they seem to be talking solely about corrupt churches with corrupt ministers, and not condemning Christianity as a whole. I'm suddenly reminded of hearing a story about how sometime in the 80s there was a preacher saying that God told him he would die if he didn't get one million dollars from his church. 9/10 07.Orion: this was the song played at Cliff Burton's funeral. The middle of the song sounded kind of spacey and starry, so they called it "Orion". I don't know what inspired them to write this, though. One more thing to say, RIP Cliff Burton. 10/10 08.Damage Inc.: this song is a call of non-conformity. The entire album centers around forces, people or powers which dictate the lives of people and force them to do things against their will. This song, which is at the end of the album, finally calls out for the 'puppet' to cut the strings of the master and take control of their own life by any means necessary, even through revolution and violence. 10/10

All in all, this is pretty much one of the most influencial albums in the history of thrash metal. The songs that have really made me fall in love with this album are Master Of Puppets, Damage Inc. and Leper Messiah. The last thing I'm gonna say is this. R.I.P Cliff Burton

Ben Mustaine
    the_rev wrote: not as good as the black album, but still an amazing album!!
    WHAT? That album is SHIT that album lead to the downfall of metallica. God dammit Bob Rock! You proably can't stand master of puppets because its too heavy for you. you love the sappy ballads of unforgiven. you can't handle the real sound of metallica
    SGofawesome
    I really don't want to sound like half the population who doesn't really know rock, but still AC/DC's back in black was the best, then Master of Puppets. I grew up with AC/DC, so maybe that is it, but definitely MOP deserves to be No.1. 1. Back In Black-AC/DC 2. MOP- Metallica 3. Paraniod- Black Sabbath (Nice pick Steevo) 4. Zoso, LedZep 4, Untitled, whatever-Led Zeppelin 5. Vulgar Display Of Power- Pantera 6. Ride The Lightning- Metallica 7. Appetite For Destruction- Guns N' Roses 8. Pyromania- Def Leppard 9. Rust In Peace- Megadeth (I personally like both bands, though Metallica beats Deth by a long shot) 10. 1984- Van Halen I honestly don't see why everyone likes Pink Floyd for some reason. I do like Hey You and Money, and also Great Gig In The Sky, but i feel the wall is a very mediocre album. All the songs are the same sounding. Anyway im getting off-subject. Master Of Puppets is a brilliant album with all the essential sounds and lyrical talents needed for a thrash metal album as such. It totally surpasses Reign in Blood. I like Slayer but their view on everything is totally what rock is NOT. Good riffs but bad lyrics, totally unneeded. Although Dave Lombardo is the best Metal drummer. anyway, MOP has great riffs, i base my writing and such for guitar on this album, mainly the self-titled song, which is my favorite of all time by the way. Battery is a brilliant way to start, and Damage Inc. a brilliant way to end. The only "downpoint", for those people that feel so, is Leper Messiah. All in all, it deserves more than a platinum record, if they had it, and the song MOP deserves a 5, not a 4.5 (REVIEWER!!!)
    SGofawesome
    I really don't want to sound like half the population who doesn't really know rock, but still AC/DC's back in black was the best, then Master of Puppets. I grew up with AC/DC, so maybe that is it, but definitely MOP deserves to be No.1. 1. Back In Black-AC/DC 2. MOP- Metallica 3. Paraniod- Black Sabbath (Nice pick Steevo) 4. Zoso, LedZep 4, Untitled, whatever-Led Zeppelin 5. Vulgar Display Of Power- Pantera 6. Ride The Lightning- Metallica 7. Appetite For Destruction- Guns N' Roses 8. Pyromania- Def Leppard 9. Rust In Peace- Megadeth (I personally like both bands, though Metallica beats Deth by a long shot) 10. 1984- Van Halen I honestly don't see why everyone likes Pink Floyd for some reason. I do like Hey You and Money, and also Great Gig In The Sky, but i feel the wall is a very mediocre album. All the songs are the same sounding. Anyway im getting off-subject. Master Of Puppets is a brilliant album with all the essential sounds and lyrical talents needed for a thrash metal album as such. It totally surpasses Reign in Blood. I like Slayer but their view on everything is totally what rock is NOT. Good riffs but bad lyrics, totally unneeded. Although Dave Lombardo is the best Metal drummer. anyway, MOP has great riffs, i base my writing and such for guitar on this album, mainly the self-titled song, which is my favorite of all time by the way. Battery is a brilliant way to start, and Damage Inc. a brilliant way to end. The only "downpoint", for those people that feel so, is Leper Messiah. All in all, it deserves more than a platinum record, if they had it, and the song MOP deserves a 5, not a 4.5 (JoshuA the reviewer!!!)
    SGofawesome
    handi-andy wrote: Best Metallica album by far! sure the black album was their biggest succes, but it was too mainstream.
    Finally, someone who actually thinks so!
    SGofawesome
    DisposableHeroe wrote: Great album!!! Second best metal album ever made ( Ride The Lightning is the first one!!! REAL MASTERPIECE)... One last thing: I cant't like "Thing That Should Not Be". I think it's a damm boring song and they sould name it "The Song That Should Not Be In Master Of Puppets"... LONG LIVE TO THE FOUR HORSEMEN!!!
    HAHAHAHAHA
    Razorshadow
    axeofoc5249
    So much ****in riffage on this album especially the title track which has to be a guitarists sweetest dream if they are able to master the ferocity of this metal masterpiece. James Hetfield is the God of RIFF and downpicking.
    FearOfTheDuck
    Best Metallica album. The others are great, but you can't beat Puppets! And Cliff really makes it special. Who remembers hearing this for the first time, and the feeling you got?
    Tariqalhajri
    SGofawesome
    That's actually really cool. I should do that for my choir exam, thanks.
    Fazemelta666
    SGofawesome : Tariqalhajri wrote: For my drama exam i chose to perform the song sanitarium, i played a mental guy, we sang the song with the music it was awesome got an A. That's actually really cool. I should do that for my choir exam, thanks.
    Choir exam, f**kin' LOL, that would be awesome! Also, to that Tariqalhajri guy, you should re-enact that exam, and film it, cuz that sounds so frickin' awesome!
    Galfadez
    Review by black_sabbath: ...No band will ever touch the legacy of James, Lars, Kirk or Newsted.
    Man get your facts write before writing a review. The legacy of Newsted of MOP?
    indyrock91
    SGofawesome wrote: Razorshadow wrote: SGofawesome wrote: steevo92 wrote: I think everyone who has long hair, agree with me that Master of Puppets is currently the best trash metal album, and it seems that never be anything that would beat it. For me it's not just the best trash metal work ever, for me it's the greatest album ever, it's totally beat every Beatles productions, Ledzepps, Sabbaths, Rolling Stones and even AC/DCs. (Don't blame me for this, thats not mean that i don't love Old School Rock). If i would have to write a list, thats would look like this: 1.- Metallica - Master of Puppets 2.- Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the moon 3.- Black Sabbath - Paranoid ... and so on...I really don't want to sound like half the population who doesn't really know rock, but still AC/DC's back in black was the best, then Master of Puppets. I grew up with AC/D, so maybe that is it, but definitely MOP deserves to be No.1. 1. Back In Black-AC/DC 2. MOP- Metallica 3. Paraniod- Black Sabbath (Nice pick Steevo) 4. Zoso, LedZep 4, Untitled, whatever-Led Zeppelin 5. Vulgar Display Of Power- Pantera 6. Ride The Lightning- Metallica 7. Appetite For Destruction- Guns N' Roses 8. Pyromania- Def Leppard 9. Rust In Peace- Megadeth (I personally like both bands, though Metallica beats Deth by a long shot) 10. 1984- Van Halen I honestly don't see why everyone likes Pink Floyd for some reason. I do like Hey You and Money, and also Great Gig In The Sky, but i feel the wall is a very mediocre album. All the songs are the same sounding. Anyway im getting off-subject. Master Of Puppets is a brilliant album with all the essential sounds and lyrical talents needed for a thrash metal album as such. It totally surpasses Reign in Blood. I like Slayer but their view on everything is totally what rock is NOT. Good riffs but bad lyrics, totally unneeded. Although Dave Lombardo is the best Metal drummer. anyway, MOP has great riffs, i base my writing and such for guitar on this album, mainly the self-titled song, which is my favorite of all time by the way. Battery is a brilliant way to start, and Damage Inc. a brilliant way to end. The only "downpoint", for those people that feel so, is Leper Messiah. All in all, it deserves more than a platinum record, if they had it, and the song MOP deserves a 5, not a 4.5 (REVIEWER!!!) Well let me correct u with the whole Slayer having bad lyrics, if u listen to their new album "World Painted Blood" it's mostly about history of a serial killer thats what "Psychopathy Red" is about. But also if u listen to a lot of Slayer its about history and war. But on a cation its about killing each other and dark taboo stuff which is mostly written by Jeff Hanneman.Also heres a neat little thing Tom the lead singer is catholic.But really though, Tom isn't a true Catholic. If he was, he wouldn't be doing what he is doing, so he is a liar. Shut up. All of Slayer's lyrics are the same, that's why they're bad. There is nothing cool about killing Jews, or serial killers.Is this Seth? I think it is.
    SG, I'm not a Slayer fan either, but it's stupid to attack Araya's beliefs. You don't know the guy's heart. He just doesn't let faith interfere with his music. That used to bug me but in the end it's just music. Anyway about the album, Best album ever. Every song blows me away and it never gets old. Metallica at their best.