Master of Puppets review by Metallica

• Released: Mar 3, 1986
  • Users' score: 9.4 (2,571 votes)
Metallica: Master of Puppets

From the acoustic beginning of "Battery" to the bone-crushing end of "Damage, Inc.", Metallica's "Master of Puppets" remains to this day one of the heaviest and most groundbreaking metal albums of all time. From the word go, Kirk and James aim to beat your brain in with a powerhouse combination of fast and heavy guitar riffs and solos. Combined with amazing drum tracks from Lars and unparalleled bass playing from the late Cliff Burton (especially on the instrumental "Orion"), Master of Puppets comes together to be, in my opinion, the greatest metal album of all time.

As most of us know, the main theme from the album "Master of Puppets" is control. The clear message from the song "Master of Puppets" in being controlled by some kind of substance, most notably in this case drugs. "Sanitarium" deals with being conrolled by insanity. "Disposable Heroes" is dedicated to showing how war and the government are controlling, while "Leper Messiah" is about control through religion and "Damage, Inc." is about control through corporations and big business. I give the lyrics a 9 beacuse, even though they are well written by James and convey a clear theme of control, they cannot quite compare to some of his later lyrics on Load and Reload.

If I could give this album a 100 out of 10, I would. In my mind, by far the greatest metal album of all time. It's hard for me to pick a favorite song so I would say the highlights are "Sanitarium", "Master of Puppets", "Battery", and "Damage, Inc." The album does also include "Orion", my favorite Metallica instrumental. One reason why I love this album so much is that however not quite a concept album, all the songs are tied together by a main theme. Instead of a loose collection of songs commonly seen in today's music industry, it is a complete album that if one song were to be removed, it would changed the complexion of the entire album. A true masterpiece.

morales2016
    Best heavy metal record. The energy on this album is over the top and it will kick your ass from the beggining to the end of the album.
    Rynmetalfan
    My second favorite Metallica album behind AJFA. They just don't make music like this anymore.
    MaggaraMarine
    Ben Mustaine wrote: the_rev wrote: not as good as the black album, but still an amazing album!! WHAT? That album is SHIT that album lead to the downfall of metallica. God dammit Bob Rock! You proably can't stand master of puppets because its too heavy for you. you love the sappy ballads of unforgiven. you can't handle the real sound of metallica
    Well, the sound in music changed in the early '90s. Metallica made the right move when they did Black Album. It might not be a thrash metal album but they knew what they were doing: The record is one of the best selling metal albums. '80s kind of thrash metal died in the '90s. But I prefer MOP to Black Album. But IMO Metallica still did the right move when they didn't repeat themselves and started making different kind of music. Because there are those bands who make ten albums that all sound the same. It's OK but it just isn't anything new.
    MaggaraMarine
    Very good, except the drumming is disappointing, I wonder why Lars doesn't want to pound that double kick, and yes, I know I said it didn't need to be all that extreme to be good, but for goodness sakes, this is Thrash Metal, double kick at 208 beats per minute is an integral part of the genre.
    Double kick playing is over rated IMO. I actually hate it when people in our school start playing drums. All they do is just play 16th notes on double kicks. That's annoying.