Metallica review by Metallica

• Released: Aug 3, 1991
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
  • Users' score: 8.7 (1,307 votes)
Metallica: Metallica

It's okay. I think this album was the start of a nasty decline for Metallica. Now, I'm writing this review because the other five are no where near being critical enough. This album is not perfect. Hardly. It is not really Metallica. It's just not hard enough for me! And don't get me wrong, please. I'm saying the hard songs aren't hard enough. Actually, my favorite songs on this album are "Nothing Else Matters" and "The Unforgiven." even as I'm typing this, I'm wearing a Metallica T-shirt that says in big print on the back "NOTHING ELSE MATTERS!" So I'm not one of those people that get annoyed by Metallica's soft side. I just got this expecting something hard, fast, and aggressive. But I got something rarely hard, rarely aggressive, rarely fast, and with only one memorable riff (Enter Sandman). Just disappointing.

The lyrics are okay. I guess. They're aren't as fun as the earlier stuff, but they're okay. Metallica is a lyrical god. They can do no wrong. Except for those aweful excuses for lyrics on St Anger.

Like I said before, I was disappointed. I just couldn't get into it. I give it an average because of my disappointment and my feelings that this album is amazingly average.