Metallica review by Metallica

• Released: Aug 3, 1991
  • Users' score: 8.7 (1,307 votes)
Metallica: Metallica

This was the 2nd album I bought that's by Metallica because my friends were talking about it and the songs in it and how good it was. It was a bit different than Master of Puppets, the first one I bought, but I liked it in its own way. It was still heavy, there were different kinds of riffs, an acoustic on "The Unforgiven", and 5 singles. The songs got a bit shorter than their past work.

Hetfield exhibited a slight change in his vocal styles. Not as radical as Load/ReLoad but he had that style of "Yeah!"s n' stuff. He's a great singer. 1. "Enter Sandman" is a cool song about nightmares n' stuff. Single #1. (Hetfield/Ulrich/Hammett), 5:29 2. "Sad But True" is something about "I'm your dream, make you real, I'm your eyes when you must steal, I'm your pain when you can't feel". Single #2. (Hetfield/Ulrich), 5:24 3. "Holier Than Thou" I couldn't really get into this song but it's a song about prejudging people or something. (Hetfield/Ulrich), 3:47 4. "The Unforgiven" is a very cool song with acoustic intro. Something about an enslaved kid who grew up without freedom and prepares to die finally. Single #3. (Hetfield/Ulrich/Hammett), 6:26 5. "Wherever I May Roam" is a song about being free to speak his mind anywhere he roams. Single #4. (Hetfield/Ulrich), 6:42 6. "Don't Tread On Me" another song I can't get into, but sort of a warning song about being careful of what you're wishing for or something. (Hetfield/Ulrich), 3:59 7. "Through The Never" I took me a while until I finally liked this song. Something about "Twisting, Turning, Through the Never". (Hetfield/Ulrich/Hammett), 4:01 8. "Nothing Else Matters" is a ballad that you really really need to hear. Many people cover this song, but they can't do it any better than this original one! The video for this song express Metallica's nice, caring side. Single #5. (Hetfield/Ulrich), 6:29 9. "Of Wolf And Man" is about bringing out the Wolf in you. This should have been hit single in my opinion. (Hetfield/Ulrich/Hammett), 4:16 10. "The God That Failed" is a song about Jesus Christ. Very good song. (Hetfield/Ulrich), 5:05 11. "My Friend Of Misery" should also have been hit single. This song is about someone who is obsessed in only his own words and trying to get people to hear him and misery will get him. The bassline is great, so pay attention for it. (Hetfield/Ulrich/Newsted), 6:47 12. "The Struggle Within" had a good intro guitar after the drumline. The lyrics are hard to understand for me, something like "Reaching out for something you got to feel, while clutching to something you thought was real." (Hetfield/Ulrich), 3:51

This is not a very bad album. It might as well be a great album. Bit different singing style, but still Hetfield makes it good and the lyrics are great. So, it is worth buying.