Metallica review by Metallica

• Released: Aug 3, 1991
  • Users' score: 8.7 (1,307 votes)
Metallica: Metallica

Some people may be dissapointed with this album compared to the other albums released by Metallica, but many of the critics and fans say this is the best album ever. "The Black Album" or the self-titled album brings you a different side of Metallica, putting aside their thrash-metal style, they give you great intros, catchy and strong riffs, and a guitar solo after the second chorus was sung. This album shows you what Metallica is mostly about with the help of producer Bob Rock and the new bassist, Jason Newsted, who previosly made an album that wasn't so successful as this one. On this album, Metallica puts aside what they done with the previous lead guitarist, Dave Mustaine, and previous bassist, Cliff Burton, to make the most successful album they have ever made.

The lyrics and the music fit in very well. To some extent, the lyrics are quite simple and it makes each song easy to understand what they are about. Although thats not a bad thing for the lyrics are very well wriiten and even though they are long, you should be able to memorize the lyrics easily so you can sing along with Metallica live like you hear the people do or with the album like a crazy guy if you like. So basically I think the lyrics are good, but I miss the lyrics about about killing, war, and grief which the album did have just not as extreme to put it.

If you ask me, Metallica got the idea of the album design from AC/DC Back in Black, but that's just me. This album compared to their previous albums, is definitly not as heavy nor fast just a little more melodic or maybe thats just the better production. The only thing I was really dissapointed with the album was that none of the guitar solos were as strong as the previous albums, for example the song One. Besides what I think, this album sold millions, this album sold more then any album Metallica has ever sold, and how can an album not be so successful with five five amazing singles which I don't feel like talking about. So this album is a disappoint to me and some other fans, it would no doubt still be worth adding this album to your collection.