Metallica review by Metallica

• Released: Aug 3, 1991
  • Users' score: 8.7 (1,307 votes)
Metallica: Metallica

I think the sound of the black album is superb, it is really heavily produced and it just sounds so damn heavy. With Bob Rock flling in as producer for the first time for metallica, things were obviously different, the sound isn't the same as the black album's predeccers and some may find that to be bad, for me it sounds extremely good. compared to metallica's earlier albums this is a lot less technical. And quite a lot less fast. The album is more mid-tempo and heavy. If want to go for a great album buy this!

I think the lyrics on the black album are very good. Hetfield talks about less political problems and talks about himself and his life. People would consider this album a very personal album for james. Especcially in "the god that failed". He talks about his life back when he was a kid when he had to live without going to doctors or doing any physical activities because of his family raising him to be a christian scientist. And "Holier Than Though". Where he talks about religious do-gooders always relying on god for their own needs. Hetfields voice on this album is brilliant, in my opionion the best voice he had in his carreer.

My overall impression is that this album does not compare to any other artists because it's so different and it's a very special album. This is Metallica's definitive album and if it were stolen/lost I would definetly buy it again, for the love God!

Metallica_13
    Brilliant Album Great solos and riffs lets face it i could'nt come up with something like that
    Horvat
    -spayed- = Idiot. It's called opinions. If people don't like the album, deal with it, but don't call them faggots. A lot of people don't like this album for the simple reason that they simplified their once-thrashy sound. Whether they did this for commercial purposes or not, who cares... The fact of the matter is that they sound differently on this CD to how they sounded on previous albums. Me personally, while I do prefer their earlier stuff, I still think they sound good on this album. But I can UNDERSTAND and RESPECT people's reasons for not liking this CD, and you should too.
    595Metallica595
    this album may not be as good as ride the lightning, ... and justice for all but this album still is a great one. i really like it
    peartdrummer
    FBS2005 wrote: Black Album is third worst album ever done (next to Load and Reload)
    What are you talking about!!!!! Metallica's Black album is what got me listening to Metallica!
    -spayed-
    you guys, calm down. anybody who says the black album is a bad album, is a little 12 year old faggit who has never even HEARD the album and just wants to be cool w/ all the real fans. ROCK ON METALLICA!
    tbarrettl
    This album changed the view of metal, along with Master of Puppets, into what we know and these 2 albums were the access key.
    AlchoholicA
    Why the hell are you pricks saying metallica sold out after this album? Are you forgeting about Fade to Black that was released in their earlier album Ride the Lightning..?
    Afroboy267
    Because it isn't good enough to be a 10...unlike master of puppets which is much better