Metallica review by Metallica

• Released: Aug 3, 1991
  • Users' score: 8.7 (1,307 votes)
Metallica: Metallica

This album creates a somewhat familiar vibe for Metallica, yet delivers a whole new realm of sound for the band. It introduces new concepts and more melodic songs, along with several ballads, yet includes songs that still retain the thrash mood that defines Metallica. Some of my favorite songs from them are on this CD.

In this CD, the lyrics have a wide range of meanings, from patriotism and problems of society, to urban legends and being on the road. The lyrics of every song on this album are unique in their own way, and each fit the song perfectly. James Hetfield's voice mostly sounds the same from the previous CD, using growling tones, and also uses melodic singing at times.

In my opinion, this is one of the best albums of theirs. I wouldn't necessarily compare it to the albums of other artists, but realize that it is its own unique creation. My favorite songs on the album are Don't Tread On Me, giving you the feeling of patriotism and excitement, The Unforgiven, telling a tale about the life a young man taken into a tribe, and Nothing Else Matters, a soft and lovely ballad that turns into a heavy and emotional solo at the end. I love the diversity of this album, and the many unique styles used, and I don't think I could really say anything that I hated about it. If it were lost/stolen, I would definitely buy it again.

DeLongeFan182
    Damn Straight
    Asterios
    Ok,maybe its not metallica's best album for the old fans of puppets and lightning but its a very cool rock piece.Sadman and sad but true are the best!All songs are based around genius guitar riffs and melodies.And in my surprise i can the bass!!!!!
    guitarfreak222
    pkweon wrote: wetwilliamthe3r wrote: this was metallica's last good album. Lol R.I.P. agreed
    Lol this is a year after this comment but anyway, They're new album "death magnetic" is just like the good old thrashy days.
    dark_falco3000
    Ha... this album is mediocre and boring when compared to their previous releases. Seriously, they held themselves together for one album after Burton died, then just fell apart. This album is... well it's decent... but just barely. And enter sandman has no right being one of the most popular Metallica songs! It's so boring and unimpressive! Just thought I'd express my opinion.
    dark_falco3000
    DeLongeFan182 wrote: hammetfan86 wrote: ok, so....why do people say this cd is mainstream? made for radio? cmon seriously people, give me one other album or band that sounds like metallica does on this cd...ya nobody. its original, its metallica, it kicks your ass, the solos arent just kirk hitting a zillion hammer on-offs at 90 mph, they have feeling to them, and he just keeps getting better and better, the lyrics actually mean something, unlike the previous albums, (with the exception of maybe ...and justice for all), james riffs still rock your face off, lars is....well lars, best drummer on earth, and newstead is no burton, but listen to my friend of misery, and it has some pretty kick*** bass. so you people that say this album isnt "metallica" or what metallica should be. your wrong, this album is what metallica was meant to be. Damn Straight
    The reason many people consider this album to be mainstream would be because it's very unoriginal in a lot of aspects. Their previous albums contained complexity, original song structures, even played around with the time signatures a bit. This album contains none to very little of that stuff. It's very unimaginative and boring, using common chord progressions and song structures. The lyrics have always meant something. Listen to Master of Puppets... the entire album is based around the concept of control. The only difference is that they toned down the deepness of the lyrics, which is why it's suddenly so much easier for people like you to get it. I agree with you on what you said about Hammet... his solos do have feeling to them, but he's overrated as a guitarist, and pretty much uses pentatonic + wah in every solo that he does. He could stand to be a little more creative. Ulrich is NOT the best drummer on earth! I don't even know how you could even think that! He's the least talented member of the band by far. He's drumming is unoriginal, and his beats are oversimplified, and he just all around can't keep up with the greats like Neil Peart, Mike Portnoy and Danny Carey (all of which are at least 7 times more awesome than Ulrich). Newsted is not Burton. Let's leave it at that. I'm not saying that metallica should've made the same album over and over again... but they should've kept the complexity of their old style, and the other elements that made them awesome. This album, save a couple of songs, was just boring.
    sic_riffs
    this album was one to kill thrash metal for years but you can feel the tinge of we cant be ****ed anymore we made it to no.1 lets take a break from thrash till it gets thrown back in our face death magnetic beat this album by far even thought it didnt sell as much as this