Metallica review by Metallica

• Released: Aug 3, 1991
  • Users' score: 8.7 (1,309 votes)
Metallica: Metallica

The sound is excellent. Although some would say that Metallica sort of strayed-away from their original sound, I would have to disagree. This album is plenty heavy. It has a diverse mix, with a couple ballads, some "in-your-face" heavy songs, and some fast, "out of control" ones. My favorites would have to be 1) The Unforgiven: The solo is just amazing, very classic and emotional. 2) Sad But True: Nice and heavy, a little slow, but pretty awesome. 3) Don't Tread on Me: Also a heavy one, it's really awesome and makes you wanna headbang.

In this album, the lyrics are about a mixture of things. For example, Nothing Else Matters is about an undying love for someone, while Don't Tread on Me is an aggressive, patriotic song. James, for the pretty much first time, uses a softer, cleaner voice at some times, while still retaining his trademark rough voice for the majority of the album. You can tell his voice is a little bit deeper than previous albums, which probably came with age. The lyrics are great, and you often find yourself singing along.

Overall, this is a great, diverse album. There are soft spots, but the majority of it is nice and heavy. It compares somewhat with the previous albums, but at the same time introduces a slightly different approach to metal. The thing about this album that I love the most is for one the diversity; it has a song for almost every situation you can think of. But most of all, I love the undying intensity and heaviness of the album. If it were lost or stolen, I'd definitely buy it again.

SERIALTRENDKILL
    Slaytan666
    ...sigh... I'm really getting tired of "this album sucks" and "This albums good".. The AJFA and DM reviews were full of them, too.. LOOK. Everyone has different tastes, and while some people can't get their heads around one or two albums, you have to realize that the reason Metallica is so huge is because of the diversity of their catalogue. There is a Metallica song out there for everyone, whether it be 'Battery', 'Nothing Else Matters' or 'The Judas Kiss'. The point is, they have the ability to write great songs in several musical styles, so if you hate them for releasing .. say .. Re-Load, know that they have far more talent than your narrow mind can conceive of. And by the way, I'm not just talking out of my ass, either.. I actually still listen to ALL their albums.
    superunknown4
    Lets see you do any better
    Ita3rd
    MarshallPower7 wrote: DrShreddington wrote: megadeth45 wrote: SERIALTRENDKILL wrote: kirk hammett is terrible. He's satriani's only failure.. james is an unbelievable rhythm guitarist though. are ****ng kidding??? they both kck ass! check out any of the solos off of master of puppets not a single sucky solo YEAH! And check all the solos on st.ange... hmm wait, what? there are none? Oh, thats odd. Dude that's the reason no one likes st.Anger...
    I wouldn't even mind the lack of solos if the production value was better and Lars' snare didn't sound so horrendous.
    megadeth45
    Hair soup
    They still play this stuff live, it never gets old. Everyone has heard a song from it at one point!
    jesussowns
    Personally, I can't say I seriously dislike any song on this album. I can't say I dislike any Metallica song though...you just need to try and appreciate every song for what it is.
    Jizzim
    all of you who hack down metallica how about you go try sell 100 million records and ut out some of the best metal of all time. oh wait sorry you cant.so shut your ****en mout and stop hating on metallica,they are 100x the men you will ever be.
    MarshallPower7
    Dude that's the reason no one likes st.Anger...
    Lamb of Deth
    (ignores all of the stupid "i hate megadeth" comments thrown out from nowhere) I remember loving this album when i was first starting to listen to metal, then i couldn't stand a "screaming" vocalist. This album is like a gateway drug to metal thanks to the debatable mainstream essence. So as i am now not to interested to listening to this album every day, i have much respect for it's greatness
    KingSquall802
    SERIALTRENDKILL wrote: kirk hammett is terrible. He's satriani's only failure..
    wow! where did you get the balls to say that? do i have to laugh?
    DrShreddington
    Holy matremony when will the damned Metallica Topics end!? UG must have the absolutely biggest Metallica fanboys ever.
    megadeth45
    shamokk
    why are these reviews here now? everyone knows this album it's been around for a decade
    roundwoundsound
    ThePowerslave11
    roundwoundsound wrote: Afroboy267 wrote: Because it isn't good enough to be a 10...unlike master of puppets which is much better +1000.im sorry,i love the black album and all,but master is alot better.it was metallica in its most true form
    Yeah it was lucky to score a 9 as it was...
    Smithsc
    Great record that really help shape alot new bands to come, say what you will.
    wyattfilms
    Shredslayer
    wyattfilms wrote: Take note that only people with "Metallica" in their name gave this Album high recognition and even at that, they are very one sided with metallica. Metallica is too much "Hype" for me. Plus the members of band are "Sweating Bullets" trying to "Plant their feet" to keep up with the times like they where "Back in the day" as they work on writing their own "Symphony of destruction". Its like "The Conjuring" of insecurities. Take note, No matter how shitty the Metallica CD, Fans will eat it up like the sheep they are.
    dry. nobody cares about the amount of song titles you can put in a paragraph. It isnt clever, heck, it dont even make much sense. GTFO
    Masterbeefy
    Loads of people have the meaning of "the God That Failed" wrong. Hetfield said in an interview its about his childhood and how he grew up with a different religion to other children, and his religion stopped him from doing certain things in school (mainly around PE and science). I cant remember the name of the religion, though I know it is a branch off of christianity
    Fireballz 1077
    Dude, I love this album. I literally grew up on this album. My dad would play it around the house all the time when I was like 3 or 4. I didn't sing kiddy songs like "Row Your Boat" or "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" when I was in Kindergarden. I'd always be singing "Sad But True" or "Unforgiven". I'm not even joking. This album rocks.
    Kalyth
    The best Metallica album ever. it was different and still kicked asses, plus it was more convincing and James voice really improved becoming more mature.
    Teh Skisgaars
    dark_falco3000 wrote: DeLongeFan182 wrote: hammetfan86 wrote: ok, so....why do people say this cd is mainstream? made for radio? cmon seriously people, give me one other album or band that sounds like metallica does on this cd...ya nobody. its original, its metallica, it kicks your ass, the solos arent just kirk hitting a zillion hammer on-offs at 90 mph, they have feeling to them, and he just keeps getting better and better, the lyrics actually mean something, unlike the previous albums, (with the exception of maybe ...and justice for all), james riffs still rock your face off, lars is....well lars, best drummer on earth, and newstead is no burton, but listen to my friend of misery, and it has some pretty kick*** bass. so you people that say this album isnt "metallica" or what metallica should be. your wrong, this album is what metallica was meant to be. Damn Straight The reason many people consider this album to be mainstream would be because it's very unoriginal in a lot of aspects. Their previous albums contained complexity, original song structures, even played around with the time signatures a bit. This album contains none to very little of that stuff. It's very unimaginative and boring, using common chord progressions and song structures. The lyrics have always meant something. Listen to Master of Puppets... the entire album is based around the concept of control. The only difference is that they toned down the deepness of the lyrics, which is why it's suddenly so much easier for people like you to get it. I agree with you on what you said about Hammet... his solos do have feeling to them, but he's overrated as a guitarist, and pretty much uses pentatonic + wah in every solo that he does. He could stand to be a little more creative. Ulrich is NOT the best drummer on earth! I don't even know how you could even think that! He's the least talented member of the band by far. He's drumming is unoriginal, and his beats are oversimplified, and he just all around can't keep up with the greats like Neil Peart, Mike Portnoy and Danny Carey (all of which are at least 7 times more awesome than Ulrich). Newsted is not Burton. Let's leave it at that. I'm not saying that metallica should've made the same album over and over again... but they should've kept the complexity of their old style, and the other elements that made them awesome. This album, save a couple of songs, was just boring.
    That was what metallica were going for cut down the complexity as i always say there is beauty in simplicity i love all metallica albums (with some exceptions) black album was metallica adapting to the always changing music industry they were exploring different paths, different styles, and they achieved nothing short of perfection (btw fave album was ride the lightning)
    beelaal85
    Set-Abominae
    dark_falco3000 wrote: The reason many people consider this album to be mainstream would be because it's very unoriginal in a lot of aspects. Their previous albums contained complexity, original song structures, even played around with the time signatures a bit. This album contains none to very little of that stuff. It's very unimaginative and boring, using common chord progressions and song structures. The lyrics have always meant something. Listen to Master of Puppets... the entire album is based around the concept of control. The only difference is that they toned down the deepness of the lyrics, which is why it's suddenly so much easier for people like you to get it. I agree with you on what you said about Hammet... his solos do have feeling to them, but he's overrated as a guitarist, and pretty much uses pentatonic + wah in every solo that he does. He could stand to be a little more creative. Ulrich is NOT the best drummer on earth! I don't even know how you could even think that! He's the least talented member of the band by far. He's drumming is unoriginal, and his beats are oversimplified, and he just all around can't keep up with the greats like Neil Peart, Mike Portnoy and Danny Carey (all of which are at least 7 times more awesome than Ulrich). Newsted is not Burton. Let's leave it at that. I'm not saying that metallica should've made the same album over and over again... but they should've kept the complexity of their old style, and the other elements that made them awesome. This album, save a couple of songs, was just boring.
    You summed up my gripes perfectly. But I wouldn't call Portnoy a drumming great.
    Set-Abominae
    beelaal85 wrote: Metallica should/must release remastered versions of their albums cause it's been a long time ago. Look at Megadeth's remastered editions and they sound sooo loud and cool...
    Oh and the remaster for Rust In Peace is kinda crappy. The vocals on Take No Prisoners are really bad. I think Mustaine lost the original vocal tracks or something, so he had to re-record them. Sounds like he's taking a painful shit. I'd much rather have Metallica's first four (read: only good albums) left alone.
    SteamMaster
    kfong03 wrote: i love metallica's sound during this period. rock on pantera, trivium and metallica!!!! p.s. i hate megadeth
    Pantera, yes, Metallica, yes, Megadeth are equally as awesome, however, Trivium... GTFO
    DrShreddington
    I poo on anyone saying Lars is the best drummer ever. That has to be the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard in my life. 4/4 Blast beats consisting of the snare drum, hihat and crash is nothing someone whos played drums for half a year couldnt do. I find that generally, the members of Metallica are certainly talented, but Lars has to be the biggest flop of a musician alive. He does absolutely nothing, he has absolutely nothing interesting in his technique, he has absolutely no feel nor alternation in his drumming and worst of all for a drummer. He has no groove whatsoever. A good drummer, nay a decent drummer, nay a drummer of any kind needs a groove or they are worthless. Now take that, + an immensely oversized ego + sueing napster and you have your so called "best drummer ever".
    a drummer
    Lars may not be the greatest drummer, or even a great drummer, but he fits perfectly for Metallica's sound, imagine if Portnoy was in Metallica...He would over do it, they don't need fancy drums. And god its hilarious to see the people flame this album cause its not fast enough, especially with their user names like slayer666. Ha go back in your mothers basement and grow the **** up like Metallica did with this Masterpiece, Though its not AJFA or MOP its great
    Lion_Slicer
    I think many of these reviews suck. Too many 10s. Really? There's NOTHING wrong with this album? No problems with every third song being filler? Or the lyrical drivel making up Holier and DTOM? Or the fact that Metallica have totally dropped their technical prowess in terms of songwriting and taken up the simplistic song structures used by every rock band ever? Justice is an epic, almost prog in its technicality, complexity, and lyrical depth. Master of Puppets is... I just can't get into it. The best metal album ever, probably. Ride the Lightning is a thrashing riff-fest with lightning-like intensity, interrupted by the surprising but beautiful Fade to Black. Kill 'Em All is simply the quintessential pure thrash metal album. The Black Album is just... a bunch of fairly impressive songs by a thrash band going for a new style. I do like a lot of the songs, but all put together it's just not that unique an album (unless you listen mainly to bland radio-rock in the first place, then this would seem like the work of geniuses).
    GUNIT!
    if only people could spell the title of the songs correctly, then i would probably find the reviews helpful. i'm going to have to go with Lion_Slicer on this one.
    Inahrima
    RUSTDOGG666 wrote: I like this album. Its easy to play.
    ...and that would be why everyone else hates it haha
    evilkirby
    ok a few points to make. 1. This is a magnificent albums and i really hate speed metal fanboys that hate it just cus they have brought the b.p.m down but still mae amazing metal songs. 2.Lars Ulrich is a good drummer, not great but he has the perfect sounds for metallica as somebody mentioned earlier. And the bit about blasting out 4/4 all the time, u obviously dont listen to much metal because thats what they all do. 3. Metallica rock, this is deffinetly one of their best albums
    PcaKes
    This is an amazing album! The songs are what made me love metallica in the first place. I don't care for a few of the songs as they seem to be very last minute attempts but most of them are under rated hits. I can almost guarantee that if you buy this album you will enjoy at least four of the songs, even if you don't like metal.
    Simskre
    I lol'ed when I read that the vocals here had less growls than on Kill 'em all :p
    SERIALTRENDKILL
    kill em all is their best album imo, then and justice for all, then ride the lightening, then master.. thanks dave mustaine! you brought us 2 of the greatest bands in music history.
    Xanadu77
    dark_falco3000 wrote: Ha... this album is mediocre and boring when compared to their previous releases. Seriously, they held themselves together for one album after Burton died, then just fell apart. This album is... well it's decent... but just barely. And enter sandman has no right being one of the most popular Metallica songs! It's so boring and unimpressive! Just thought I'd express my opinion.
    Nicely said!
    Shun1010
    ..."it's not like they started singing blues (read reviews on Load)." lmao!