Metallica review by Metallica

• Released: Aug 3, 1991
  • Users' score: 8.7 (1,307 votes)
Metallica: Metallica

It's... different. It's not "old Metallica." It's not bad, but it's not the same. I liked it, for the most part, even if it was lighter and different. It's just... not the same as we would all expect, but it's interesting to listen to now and again. More melodic, easier to pick up (and a hell of a lot easier to play! ), and overall just strangely cool. It's the "accessible but listenable Metallica." It's still pretty good, if not nearly as good as their better days, but it absolutely does not sucks.

Meh... Metallica's had much better before. Not a big fan of most of the songwriting, but the way Hetfield delivers the vocals helps out here. I like his voice for their songs. I strongly prefer the songwriting from Ride the Lightning, but this isn't BAD by any means. Some songs are written well, others come off as mediocre and almost uninspired. A weak point for the album, but overall it was pretty good.

This album absolutely does not compare to "old Metallica." Don't expect it to. Ever. It's still part of "good Metallica," but it's not that old, nostalgic, thrashy, heavy, aggressive Metallica we all know and love. It's still good music, it's just not the same. All of you extreme naysayers are more than likely uber-metalheads who have this impression that if a song isn't super heavy or lightning fast then it sucks, and if you're not in that category, then either you expected old Metallica and got disappointed, or you're just not taking this album for what it really is - an accessible new direction without ruining the music. I'll admit, some tracks on this album were... horrible (I'm sorry, but I hate The Unforigven. I like Unforgiven III and II was okay... but I HATE the original. It's just so, boring.) You can listen to pretty much any song on the album at random and they're all fairly catchy (even the cursed Enter Sandman, which everyone knows), and they're certainly all listenable. It's an interesting new direction for Metallica, but unfortunately, the albums that followed (until Death Magnetic) just failed. My favorite songs are Wherever I May Roam, Sad But True, Of Wolf and Man, My Friend of Misery, The God that Failed, Nothing Else Matters, and Through the Never (yes, I did like most of this album). The long and short of this all is, if you want a new direction for Metallica that keeps part of the old formula and warps it (in an interesting way), go for this album. If you're an "old Metallica" elitist, don't even bother.

stalefishtweak
    dark_falco3000 wrote: DeLongeFan182 wrote: hammetfan86 wrote: ok, so....why do people say this cd is mainstream? made for radio? cmon seriously people, give me one other album or band that sounds like metallica does on this cd...ya nobody. its original, its metallica, it kicks your ass, the solos arent just kirk hitting a zillion hammer on-offs at 90 mph, they have feeling to them, and he just keeps getting better and better, the lyrics actually mean something, unlike the previous albums, (with the exception of maybe ...and justice for all), james riffs still rock your face off, lars is....well lars, best drummer on earth, and newstead is no burton, but listen to my friend of misery, and it has some pretty kick*** bass. so you people that say this album isnt "metallica" or what metallica should be. your wrong, this album is what metallica was meant to be. Damn Straight The reason many people consider this album to be mainstream would be because it's very unoriginal in a lot of aspects. Their previous albums contained complexity, original song structures, even played around with the time signatures a bit. This album contains none to very little of that stuff. It's very unimaginative and boring, using common chord progressions and song structures. The lyrics have always meant something. Listen to Master of Puppets... the entire album is based around the concept of control. The only difference is that they toned down the deepness of the lyrics, which is why it's suddenly so much easier for people like you to get it. I agree with you on what you said about Hammet... his solos do have feeling to them, but he's overrated as a guitarist, and pretty much uses pentatonic + wah in every solo that he does. He could stand to be a little more creative. Ulrich is NOT the best drummer on earth! I don't even know how you could even think that! He's the least talented member of the band by far. He's drumming is unoriginal, and his beats are oversimplified, and he just all around can't keep up with the greats like Neil Peart, Mike Portnoy and Danny Carey (all of which are at least 7 times more awesome than Ulrich). Newsted is not Burton. Let's leave it at that. I'm not saying that metallica should've made the same album over and over again... but they should've kept the complexity of their old style, and the other elements that made them awesome. This album, save a couple of songs, was just boring.
    Dark falco cmon ... wats wrong with simple and heavy music?? the beatles proved it that music doesnt have to be complicated to be good... its true that trash metal is tons more intricate and interesting as far complexity goes... but what is gained in complexity is sometimes lost in the end result which is the sound of the band... complexity doesnt really contribute to that.... an example of this would be malmsteem.. he is amazingly complex with his arpeggios but i fail to hear the wow factor in his music the way i hear when i listen to jason becker or slash for that matter... And also... if you were in metallica's shoes.. wouldn't you want to try something new... it's only one life after all.... but i like wat u said about them adapting to the change in the industry.. they shouldn't have done it for the sake of being according to the norm when they were the ones who were against it right from kill em all...
    Ihle
    Im so sick of the nagging about "old" and "new" Metallica. Metallica is Metallica whatever anyone sais and be thankful for what they have given you! I like Metallica as they are, dont ekspect they to be the way you`d like them to be. METAL UP YOUR ASS!
    dark_falco3000
    Teh Skisgaars wrote: That was what metallica were going for cut down the complexity as i always say there is beauty in simplicity i love all metallica albums (with some exceptions) black album was metallica adapting to the always changing music industry they were exploring different paths, different styles, and they achieved nothing short of perfection (btw fave album was ride the lightning)
    If you find beauty in simplicity then go listen to the radio. If you want simplicity with more of an asskicking touch than found on the radio, there are many simple metal bands for you to listen to. Sure, simplicity can be beautiful, but it's also common. You can find it anywhere. Now Metallica's original style was very uncommon. It was rare, it was great. It didn't employ the same guidelines used by just about every other band. Metallica was one of few bands who made music like this. And then they decided to take away the complexity and become simple just like 90% of other bands and artists out there. You can find simplicity wherever you go. If metallica didn't turn mainstream, it wouldn't have been a big loss for you people who love simple music, because it's everywhere. However, for those of us, like me, who like complexity in their music, this was a loss. Sure, we have Dream Theater and Tool and so on, but there's only so much that a mere handful of bands can do. and if this album was metallica "adapting" to the changing musical industry, they shouldn't have done it. Bands shouldn't change their sound for the sake of being like other bands. btw you call this album perfection yet state that you prefer RtL? Does that mean that you think that RtL is better than perfection? Because that's fairly interesting. Though I won't disagree.
    dark_falco3000
    complexity can add to the sound of the band. Heard of Dream Theater? Where would they be without being complex? As I said, I didn't want them to make the same album over and over again. But keeping at least the complex elements of their music would've been nice. Metallica was an awesomely complex band. When they lost their complexity, they actually lost their sound, and gained a newer, less original one.
    sugarrr
    IMO AJFA was their last good album untill the new DM which actually roccks real hard. Yes, Metallica changed their style to slower and more simple and the albums after AJFA are boring IMO. I'm not saying that it was a bad thing, some ppl like the black album and load and the others and a change isn't bad. If you don't like the black album, you can still listen to Master and Ride the lightning. Just post your opinions, don't call ppl fags. Btw i actually ROFLd at superguitarrist1's review. Omg he cant be serious he has to be joking.