Metallica review by Metallica

• Released: Aug 3, 1991
  • Users' score: 8.7 (1,307 votes)
Metallica: Metallica

In 1991, two biggest hard rock/metal acts in the world were Metallica and Guns N' Roses. Both bands released their long anticipated new albums but it was Metallica's "Black Album" that launched the biggest shock wave through the music world. Unlike the four previous albums "Kill 'Em All" (1983), "Ride The Lightning" (1984), "Master Of Puppets" (1986), and "...And Justice For All" (1988) this album was a lot slower and more like heavy metal rather than thrash metal which is what fan knew them for. A lot of people hate this album and a lot of people like it. Yes, the album is a lot slower but contains some killer songs and is still very heavy. On songs like "Enter Sandman", "Sad But True", "Holier Than Thou", "Wherever I My Roam", "Don't Tread On Me", "Through The Never", "Of Wolf And Man", and "The God That Failed" the band is really seem as the album goes on the heavier they got (minus "Nothing Else Matters" which is toward the album). The song that really stood out to me is "The Unforgiven". Starting out with James Hetfield playing an acoustic intro with lead guitarist Kirk Hammett coming in with an eerie clean guitar intro. After Hammett finishes you hear the acoustic for a few more seconds then it stops as the part comes in very heavy. The bridge leading up to the solo is very creepy as Hammett rips into an amazing guitar solo.

Listening to this album you can tell James Hetfield pushed his singing to a new level. He sings with a lot of power and strength. One thing I've noticed with some bands when making an album like this the lyrics work but don't blend in with the music. This is definitely not one of those albums. On the first five songs of the album: "Enter Sandman", "Sad But True", "Holier Than Thou", "The Unforgiven", and "Wherever I My Roam" this is perfect example of the lyrics, vocals, and music coming together perfectly. Hearing that on the first five songs helps lock you in and keeps you listening. This continues the rest of the album.

My opinion this is one of their best albums. A lot people say "It Sucks!", "They sold out", etc. I know all of you have probably heard someone say that at least once. The one thing people forget though is in 1991 the music industry was changing quickly and for them to make an album like this was probably their smartest move in a time where grunge ruled. I hate nothing about this album it's a classic and one of favorites behind "Ride The Lightning" and "Master Of Puppets". Yes, you may hate it. DON'T HATE IT THOUGH BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE DOES. I put that in caps so it stands out. Don't let other people's thoughts on music influence you. Go and listen to it for what it is. Listen to the music, listen to the lyrics, and the outcome my surprise you.

dtolle
    metallica is pretty great, couldnt get any better, they need to write more songs instead of playing their old albums over and over again
    julian.v.hansen
    Smashing hitparade. From the melodic Nothing Else Matters and Unforgiven. To Smashing midtempo metal hits like Enter Sandman and the slower more groove orientated Sad But True, i dig some of the lesser known songs aswell. Great record and an all time Classic..