Metallica: Through The Never (Music From The Motion Picture) review by Metallica

• Released: Sep 24, 2013
Metallica: Metallica: Through The Never (Music From The Motion Picture)

"Through the Never" is the name of the movie, the soundtrack, as well as a track from Metallica's "Black Album." Oddly enough, the song "Through the Never" doesn't appear on the soundtrack. When Metallica first planned the ambitious full-length movie project, "Metallica: Through the Never," a lot of people were very curious about what the band would come up with. Many assumed it would just be concert footage edited together, which it was with the twist of having a truly bizarre storyline running intermittently throughout the video. The soundtrack itself are some prime cuts of live tracks which were used in the film. The album consists of 16 tracks lasting over 100 minutes. The album opens with "The Ecstasy of Gold," which is appropriate as this has been their standard opener for years. Next up is a rousing rendition of "Creeping Death" which is only marred by a poorly recorded chorus provided by the audience members. Next up is "For Whom the Bell Tolls," which uses audience participation very briefly. The vocal reverb/delay used on the live version of "For Whom the Bell Tolls" is what really makes the track stand out, and the guitar solo seems to have a "freak out" moment by Kirk. "Fuel" is next, and oddly what I believe is a pyrotechnic going off in the first few seconds of the song provides an odd addition to the percussion. The performance of the song was energetic except for an odd instrumental stumble at about 45 seconds in, but the band did recovery very quickly. "Ride the Lightning" came up next, and went pretty well with the exception of James sounding like he couldn't remember some of the lyrics for a few seconds. "One" starts out using audio clips of explosions, helicopters and gunfire which goes on for almost 2 minute unaccompanied by any music until the opening riff finally comes in. "The Memory Remains" starts out with some "playful banter" with James and the crowd, but quickly builds to a very energetic performance with the most successful audience participation on the album. "Wherever I May Roam" was a pretty straightforward live performance with the audience singing the line "wherever I may roam" along with James. "Cyanide" is most notable for having a very awesome bass tone audible through most of the track and making me wonder what equipment/settings Robert was using. You can also tell that the band is way more used to playing this newer material, as their playing is tighter than on some previous tracks. "...And Justice for All" was next up, and while it would never stand up to the studio recording, and wasn't even completely accurate to the original, it was one of my favorite performances from the album. "Master of Puppets" was performed with a great surge of energy by the band and the audience's enthusiasm was contagious for me, as the listener. "Battery" is another track where the pyrotechnics provide some unexpected percussion, and for whatever reason James' vocals weren't working for me on this track. "Nothing Else Matters" started out with about two minutes of guitar noodling, that while interesting was also a little confusing as I tried to figure out what it was. By the time the actual intro to "Nothing Else Matters" came in, my brows were furrowed and I was checking my track listing to make sure I hadn't become confused, but then the performance was one of the better performances from the album. "Enter Sandman" was next up and started out with Kirk initially playing around too much with his wah pedal, but quickly turned into a very tight performance, pyrotechnics included. "Hit the Lights" starts out with some general noodling and banter with the audience but grows into another very energetic performance. The album closes out with a rendition of "Orion," managing to be both a very tight performance as well as having good energy - making it the perfect performance to close out the album.

James Hetfield has very distinctive vocals, and unlike many other vocalists he generally gives a very good vocal performance live as well as in the studio. For the most part, this is true with this album with the exception of a few spots were his time seemed a little bit off or where he seemed to have trouble remembering lyrics. The forgiveness that goes along with this being a live album covers for most of these small mistakes. Something that might just be in my head is that his voice doesn't seem to be quite right for some of the older tracks anymore, but that is what comes from being an aging vocalist.

A live album is good for recreating the experience of the concert, probably especially for people actually present at that specific concert. Point being, you can't judge a live album the same way you judge a studio album. Mistakes are more forgivable. Energy is often a more important factor than how masterful the actual performance was. What you want from a live album is to be made to feel a part of the concert; to feel like you are there. That is something that was accomplished sometimes during the album, but not for the entirety. The bottom line is that as far as live albums go I've heard better and I've heard worse. Something that this live album did that many others having, however, is give me a strong nostalgic feeling remembering when I first heard Metallica, and also a long ago concert I attended as a teenager that has always stuck with me as one of my better memories.

stereosmiles
    So long as James manages to stay away from shouting "METALLICA! FAMILY!" for twenty minutes, I'll be happy.
    hudsonstradlin
    HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE ALIIIIIVE? YEAAAAH! OOH!
    Prometh3us
    DO YOU FEEL HOW I FEEL?
    Salvo416
    GIMME FUE GIMMIE FAI GIMMIE DABAJABAZA!!!!!
    Gee Halen
    OOOOOHHHH, WADDA BUUUURN - FUE ISFOOOO THE INJUNS. GIME OOOOOHHH LOOOHHH SUPREEEEE.
    PiercedBand
    Sitting here watching that on the Big 4 and I was dying laughing just thinking of this
    moh-k93
    i think the soundtrack is pretty awesome , you can hear both the bass and the drums DB pretty clearly !!
    eatfresh1736
    The movie "narrative" was, in my opinion, not satisfying and way too vague. However, when I heard the soundtrack, I couldn't get over how clear the bass was. Amazing concert, disappointing movie.
    TheHydra
    I'm pretty sure this is the most prominent the bass has ever been in any performance in any album they've done. If only James still had his Seattle '89 voice.
    mribanezX
    Damn they sound tight on this. For a bunch of "old dudes" especially. Definitely digging it.
    Shametome
    During Ride the Lightning, him "forgetting lyrics" was actually part of the show; the microphone he was using goes out. Possibly as a sort of foreshadowing for all of the concert catastrophe.
    a drummer
    While this may be true, James always seems to forget some lyrics from that one
    Shametome
    I only say this because they did the exact same thing during the concerts in Edmonton. I doubt the same microphone went out during the same part for the shows.
    thebadger87
    I had heard that all of their mics went out when the Tesla Coils kicked in during that song.
    6-String_Madman
    Not to mention, one of the Tesla coils firing a lightning bolt that hit the stage floor right after the song.
    Salvo416
    The music sounds good but man Jame's voice is shot.. I understand they've been doing this for 30 years but damn...
    Jimjambanx
    I can't believe a it's a Metallica concert that doesn't include Sad But True.
    ScottStewart1
    they only included songs that are actually in the movie, some of the songs were performed but not included because it didn't serve the 'storyline' aspect of the film.
    JimmyP91
    I saw the 1st of 4 concerts and they played Sad But True. They left it off the soundtrack for some reason I guess.
    Kaseke
    I somehow think the author of this text tried to find only the bad things about this recording :/ I thought it was pretty cool
    TomWhaley
    Well, when you've heard them playing these songs live over and over and over so many times for many years, I think everybody expects all of the good parts to just be there naturally. Really, the only things that would stand out in these songs anymore would probably be mistakes. Like, I don't think he'd waste the time saying something like "The middle guitar harmony in 'Master of Puppets' sounds good!" We know... because it's sounded good for 27 years haha
    dudester410
    this is exactly the reason we metallica fans even bother reading these reviews at all.
    kosarsosar
    As a live album goes, they really didn't do anything they haven't before. They play the staples and avoid digging deeper into the catalog, which is always disappointing.
    maximumrocker
    Loved seeing it in 3D. The Stage was amazing, watch some of the behind the scenes stuff they have on youtube. Soundtrack is tight as hell, the storyline to the movie was ok. But, loved seeing everything in 3D, was like being on stage with METALLICA!
    PiercedBand
    Megadeth's Countdown To Extinction live album is way better and Dave still has talented vocals. And I went on the CTE tour so that probably adds why I like it more. James Hetfield's voice is horrible live. Yeah there are imperfections live but c'mon, even though his singing voice is "aging" that's not much of an excuse. The lead singer of Exodus has been doing it the same amount of time and his vocals are perfect.
    azmully
    This review doesn't talk about the theatrical part of the movie at all... Which seems rather bizarre, confusing, and in the end leaves you wondering "What was in the ****ing BAG!"