No Life 'Til Leather review by Metallica

Metallica: No Life 'Til Leather

First of all this is a demo, I'm sure every Metallica fan knows. It was recorded in 1982 with James Hetfield on rhythm guitar and vocals, Dave Mustaine on lead guitar, Ron McGovney on bass and Lars Ulrich on the skins. It was recorded in Ron McGovney's garage straight onto a cassette, all parts at once. it's not great sound, yet it's good considering how many times it's been passed on to people and recorded over and over again. This album is under the thrash genre, early Bay Area thrash. It was huge in San Fransisco, passed round and round, and amazingly (lucky for me) it ended up in Israel, where I bought it.

The lyrics are pretty much about Metallica's attitude towards how they wanted to take over the metal scene. "Seek and Destroy" and "Whiplash" are about that, "Metal Militia" is mostly about their massive fan base around the bay. "The Mechanix" was written by Dave Mustaine and has sexual lyrics, kind of in the wrong place, being in a Metallica song. "Phantom Lord," in was just about what mostly all metal was back then: evil beings coming to take your lives. The lyrics are actually not that heartfelt, emotional or well thought out, but they fit the metal scene as it was at that point. Hetfield's vocals are not as talented as they are now, yet singers back then for heavy metal didn't need as much talent, just screams. It's rather high pitched, his voice, being not as matured as it is today. But, nonetheless, it fits the genre at that point in time.

My impression of this demo was: "Kill 'Em All" with a few less songs and rough around some edges. Compared to "Kill 'Em All," it is the same musically but with worse sound quality as I mentioned above. The best songs on this album, in my opinion, are "Seek And Destroy," "Jump in the Fire" and "The Mechanix" because of the power, speed and catchy riffs of the songs. I love this demo album. It features 7 songs, all which ended up appearing on "Kill 'Em All." It is a great early thrash metal record and I am glad I have it, considering the rareness of this tape. it only comes on cassette, unless you want to get the cheap, remake. I would buy as many copies as possible of this item because of the rarity. I would recommend "No Life 'Til Leather" to any diehard Metallica fan.

..NEM..
    shimaroller3 wrote: the mechanix isn't on kill em all....
    no, they changed the lyrics and it became 'The Four Horsemen'.
    metallicaPOOS
    LynchMobster wrote: actually there are 9 tracks on the demo, two of which never made on Kill 'em All or any of their CD's. in order it is: The Mechanix Motorbreath Jump In The Fire Seek And Destroy Phantom Lord Sucking My Love(a Diamond Head cover, not on K'eA) Hit The Lights Metal Militia Let It Loose(an original song that never got on K'eA) Let It Loose also happens to be the best sounding track on the album(production wise) and happens to be a pretty good song. im actually suprised it didnt make it on Kill em All. it would be cool if the put that and No leaf Clover on their new cd
    nikhil101
    MetallicaPOOS wrote: Hetfield's vocals are not as talented as they are now
    Thats cos Hetfields not doing the vocals.. Mustaine is....
    nikhil101
    nikhil101 wrote: MetallicaPOOS wrote: Hetfield's vocals are not as talented as they are now Thats cos Hetfields not doing the vocals.. Mustaine is....
    Screw what i JUST SAID ITS A LOAD OF CRAP, NOW HAVE A NICE DAY
    mchugh92
    well i downloaded the original version off bitcomet and its got 7 songs on it, i listened and it sounds rawer and the production is sucky but its a demo so what would we expect from a cd that was recorded with cheap eqiupment, but in terms of guitar-playing its still a pretty good demo, the vocals kinda ruined it though, james sounds REALLY different!!!!
    Brad_Bassist
    shimaroller3 wrote: the mechanix isn't on kill em all....
    No it's not but the four horsemen is and the mechanix was its origanal name.
    Joewhall
    MetallicaPOOS wrote: Hetfield's vocals are not as talented as they are now
    He did a bunch of vocal training or whatever before recording black album
    Joewhall
    also you can download a live version of the mechanix from metallica's website for free
    metallicaPOOS
    it's got the original artwork and the cassette has print on it. its old as hell too. haha mind you it was from ****in isreal.....
    mosher117
    You no some of the ones on ebay could be fake, cos i love MetallicA and i downloaded the torrent cos i dont have the cash to buy it just now. But say what if i was to burn it to CD, put it in my Hi-Fi, stick a tape in cassette section and press record. There ya go i now have the "No Life Til' Leather" tape and it was said above its hard to find it with the original cover slip. So i just the tape in the box and take out cover and put it on ebay for a ridiculous price. Now i'm not saying i'm goimg to do that but how many people do think do and put it on ebay and say this is one of the original tapes from 80's of MetallicA's "No Life Til' Leather" demo
    J-Mann603
    let it loose is a cover dude
    craig_clarke95
    nikhil101 wrote: nikhil101 wrote: MetallicaPOOS wrote: Hetfield's vocals are not as talented as they are now Thats cos Hetfields not doing the vocals.. Mustaine is Nooo, you're wrong, its James on vocals, he used to sing like that before kill 'em all.
    tamnam2
    Well I Have the original "No Life 'Til Leather" Tape (TDK SA60)... Is anyone Interested of buying it? E-Mail: tamnam2@gmail.com
    someguy1
    krymson wrote: Holy shit it ended up in Isreal? Man, you know your the most sucesfull metal band in the world when.
    shit yeah this demo definitley has 7 songs metallica fukin rox some guy out
    Sir Agey
    Big Tommy P : wow, i dodn't know you could get it, i wonder if you could get it in australia?
    You can get it off the net. I guess thats close enough, i found it on DC++ no problem. It's a shame i can't find a video with Ron playing bass.
    krymson
    Blakendkrispy66
    uuh... shimaroller, the Mechanix is the same song as the 4 horsemen, just with different lyrics, it appears on Killing is my business and business is good,the megadeth album because when metallica kicked dave out he had the rights to the music
    stygian87
    yes but its still pretty much the same song with different lyrics, and they played all songs faster back then
    metallicaPOOS
    it costed around 30 bucks american. it was hard to find, man. it took me 3 year just to see the ORIGINAL one on ebay (where i bought it) its great.
    LynchMobster
    MESAexplorer
    At the time of Kill Em all and ride the lightning metallica took a thrash approach, a bit heavier and slower, and megadeth took a speed metal approach. Both amazing bands.
    metallicaPOOS
    o, yeah. For any one who wants this, try ebay, ebay stores, local flea markets and auctions. its really hard to find it with the original cover (which isn't the one on this article, lol) any everything. Also, on ebay, you can post things that you want to buy. i was lucky and got it without being too extreme...but good luck. your best bet is ebay.
    Cobalt Blue
    metallicaPOOS wrote: ok, maybe YOUR demo has 9 songs, but the original one, believe me dude is 7 songs. I own the ORIGINAL copy and reseach any where, its 7 songs
    you have the original? i would have thought one of the band members would have the original
    metalmiliita56
    I have this demo and yes only seven songs but I do have other demo versions of hit the lights and no remorse and whiplash with dave mustain and cliff burton on guitar and bass!!