Reload review by Metallica

• Released: Nov 18, 1997
Metallica: Reload

This album has caught a lot of flack. I have heard it called the beginning of Metallica's downfall. But I, Personally, like it. It doesn't have as much of the melodic undertones that their previous albums boasted. It has a more unrefined and ballsy attack. Yet, the intricate riffs and well thought out lines are still there. Songs like "The Unforgiven II" and "Low Man's Lyric" still display Metallica's softer, more poignant and mellower side.

The lyrics aren't as subversive as other albums. They are more straightforward. Yet they are still very thought-provoking. They take on a darker tone and feel, but I very rarely listen to reLOAD without having to consciously stop bobbing my head. James Hetfield, as always, explores every aspect of his skills as a lyricist and vocalist.

Like I said, this album is very different from any other Metallica recording. My favorite songs are "The Memory Remains", "Devil's Dance", "The Unforgiven II", "Where the Wild Things Are" and "Low Man's Lyric". If reLOAD were lost or stolen, I wouldn't hesitate to replace it. It is definitly worth buying.