Ride the Lightning review by Metallica

• Released: Jan 1, 1984
  • Users' score: 9.6 (1,748 votes)
Metallica: Ride the Lightning

This record is pure genius. Metallica takes a mature and calculated approach to hard rock on Ride the Lightning. The riffs are complex and innovative. They pierce you to the bone. Tracks like "The Call of Ktulu" boast intricate and thought-provoking guitar attacks. Metallica displays an unbelievable amount of musical capability and accomplishment on this album.

The lyrics on Ride the Lightning range from the Bible's story of Passover and the Exodus (Creeping Death) to the death penalty (Ride the Lightning). They are interesting and make you think. The words definitly compliment the music. You not only hear but feel the urgency of "For Whom the Bell Tolls" and the melancholy of "Fade to Black". James Hetfield is a very talented singer and accomplished lyricist.

My overall impression of Ride the Lightning is that it is a well written and musically inspiring album. It is, by far, my favorite Metallica recording. It displays their diversity and musical abilities. The complexity and intricacies of Kirk Hammet's guitar-playing are nothing short of inspiring. The only thing I didn't like about this album is the fact that Lars Ulrich (the coniving little weasel he is) contributes to it. I would not hesitate to replace it if stolen. Ride the Lightning is definitly woth buying.