Ride the Lightning review by Metallica

• Released: Jan 1, 1984
  • Users' score: 9.6 (1,748 votes)
Metallica: Ride the Lightning

Metallica's 1984 'Ride The Lightning' record! There is only 2 words to describe this classic record... Pure Awesome!! I'm a big Metallica fan myself and you might think I'm being biased but I'm not... even all fellow metal heads will enjoy this record even though you havn't really gave Metallica a chance. Ok then... sound... erm... well the record opens with a great track called 'Fight Fire With Fire' with is personally one of my fave 'tallica songs. Nice, gentle, 'Medevil, if you will' intro at the start that builds up to a fast, furious, thrashy riffage and this gets you into the Metallica spirit! The entire album in my opinion is full of surprised... listen to their newest (and in my opinion, poor) album 'St Anger' and then listen to this record. You will most definetly prefer the early sounds of Metallica more than the newer stuff!! In conclusion for this paragraph... Long boring rubbish stuff OUT (St Anger)... endless solos that kick ass IN!!!

Woah... the lyrics... what can I say apart from... GENIOUS!! James Hetfield at his best, very inspiring towards young singer/song writers. Just like he said on MTV's Metallica Icon, "When I looked back ... I was like, wow", For example, the classic track from this record titled 'Fade To Black', when I first listened to it I was very impressed how James Hetfield could make a song so effective and emotional that you can relate with it. Another example, the song titled 'Trapped Under Ice' is the most insane and unbelievable Metallica song I've heard in the life!! Fast, crazy, distort, heavy, and very very effective. Just the song title 'Trapped Under Ice' gives you the impression of one of the scariest experiences you could unluckily encounter in your like, and James Hetfield captures the terror in this track, as if you're really trapped under ice!!

Ok... the overall impression... damn it I'm gonna be here for about a month so I'll TRY and keep it brief. It is my fave CD and I think will be in that position for a long time to come! There is alot of very very impressive songs on this record. Such as, 'For Whom The Bell Tolls', 'Fade To Black', 'Trapped Under Ice' & 'Creeping Death'. I would name all the tracks but these are the headliners of the record. I loved everything about this record... however, the only thing I hate is that Metallica stopped producing material like this 15 years ago!! I would buy this record over and over again and hope you give it a try, I even have the T-shirt of it for god sake... because it rules so much! If you're a heavy metal fan and is in need for a record full of fast, thrashy, fearce riffs brought to you by no one other than the guitar god, Kirk Hammet? Well buy this album and I guarantee you, you will thank me one day!! Thanks, Brent Hood (hoodynufc@hotmail.com).