Ride the Lightning review by Metallica

• Released: Jan 1, 1984
  • Users' score: 9.6 (1,748 votes)
Metallica: Ride the Lightning

This is f--king Metallica, baby! Could "Fight Fire With Fire" be played any faster? Probably not (and if so, I'd love to see who can and maybe shred with them sometime). I guess that I'd best describe this album as a thick mass of metal bliss. Harmonies aplenty, tons of crunchy, unforgettable riffs, more experienced lyrical compositions. Solos blaze throughout, and the tempos are phenominal.

The lyrics are perfectly suited for the music. Hetfield delivers with pride and passion, and the lyrical content is as doomy and nihilistic as ever.

Aw, you don't like songs about capital punishment and destruction? Well, get over it, bitch. That's what this whole f'n album is about. And it would have sucked if it were any other way. Most impressive songs were certainly "Fight Fire With Fire," "Ride The Lightning," "Trapped Under Ice," "For Whom the Bell Tolls," and "Creeping Death." I'm still not a fan of "Fade To Black." It's on the radio nine times a day and really starting to wear thin in my opinion. Otherwise, another jewel in heavy metal's collection. If it were stolen, I'd carve the word 'thief' in the bastard's grave, if you get my drift. Buy it, man. See for yourself.