Ride the Lightning review by Metallica

• Released: Jan 1, 1984
  • Users' score: 9.6 (1,748 votes)
Metallica: Ride the Lightning

As with most '80s thrash metal, the sounds is a bit muddy in places, but this album has some wicked sound all the same. I particulary liked the solos in "Creeping Death" and "Fade To Black." Metallica has definitly changed their sound as time went by but "Ride" is one of thier better albums with some amazing solos by Kirk, and Cliff was (is) one of the better (best) bass players of this genre.

Lyrics are typical Metallica, you hear stuff about war, suicide and of course death. An angry teenagers best medicine. The songs are as follows: 01. Fight Fire With Fire - nuclear warfare. A little acoustic jam at the beginning. Cool song, but not my fav. 4/5. 02. Ride The Lightning - death by electric chair. F--kin cool track with a wicked solo by Kirk. One of the best songs on the album 5/5. 03. For Whom The Bell Tolls - warfare in general. Cool tune. Like the lyrics 4.5/5. 04. Fade To Black - deals with suicide. Best song on the album by far. Awesome rhythm guitar with some absolutly wicked soloing by Kirk througout 6/5. 05. Trapped Under Ice - well the title sums it up. Cool track with some great solo work. Great head-banging tune, but almost seems like filler 4.5/5. 06. Escape - again, title says it all. Not one of my favs, but I did like the lyrics 4/5. 07. Creeping Death - the crap that the pharohs went through in ancient eygptian legend. 2nd best song on the album, with another f--kin wicked solo by Kirk and a great song to sing along to 5.5/5. 08. Call Of The Klutu - instrumental. I thought this was one of thier better instrumental works alongside "Orion" from Puppets. Kirk's lead guitar is great as usuall on the instrumentals.

Overall, this album is kickass. Newer metal fans might find the sound a bit muddy, but I look past that. I've listened to Metallica since I was in diapers and theyve grown to be my all-time fav. This album is probably thier 3rd best behind "Puppets" and "Justice" (in that order). Best songs were Fade To Black, Ride, and Creeping Death. If lost or stolen, I'd probably buy it again, after I found the thief and shoved my baseball bat up thier well you get the picture.