Ride the Lightning review by Metallica

• Released: Jan 1, 1984
  • Users' score: 9.6 (1,748 votes)
Metallica: Ride the Lightning

I consider this album as Metallica's early masterpiece. Of course, Master Of Puppets was a better one, but this album came earlier, so that's why I call it so. The sound is really cool. The guitars really get's you an electric feeling. The bass-lines are great. Especially in For Whom The Bell Tolls. The drums really fit to the rest of the instruments, so I whould say that Ulrich made a great job to! The sound is awesome!

Well, the lyrics are really have a meaning. Especially in Fade To Black. I simply want to cry when I listen to that song. The overall lyrics that James uses is violent. Either about war, different elemental powers or simply just cool. The lyrics really fit this album but I James does not have a good voice, mever liked that. The older Metallica got, the cooler Hetfield sang. Because this is an early album, I don't like his voice that much. But the lyrics are great!

Right, I'll take this song by song: 01. Fight Fire With Fire - a really great acoustic intro. Really peacefull, but then it crashes into the worst song Metallica has ever made! The riff really sucks and the chorus is a big joke! Not to menchon the verse. I just can't listen get nyself to like this one 1.5/10. 02. Ride The Lightning - a fantastic and mighty intro! Really makes you feel comfortable after the joke track before it. After the intro the song I ok I guess. Then it really get's you going with another amazing Kirk Hammet-solo 4.5/10. 03. For Whom The Bell Tolls - it took me awhile to like this song, but when I did I found it real fun to play. Fantascic bass work by Cliff Burton. The drums really fit in and he guitars are just to good to be true 10/10. 04. Fade To Black - a real Metallica masterpiece. Not a second on this song is bad. I kinda get in a trance when I hear the intro solo. Awesome track 10/10. 05. Trapped Under Ice - to place such a lousy song after a comeplete miracle was the biggest mistake this band has ever made. It is worse than Fight Fire With Fire. But that's only because Fight Fire's got a good intro. Worthless peace of s--t 1/10. 06. Escape - I guess it's Ok. But it doesn't really fit Metallica to make such a song. By that I mean the chorus. Everything else is ok. I like the riff though 4/10. 07. Creeping Death - my brother really got me listening to this song. The riffs are awesome and there's really nothing bad about this song. Not a masterpiece but still really good 8/10. 08. The Call Of Ctulu - I have to admit, that this is the best instrumental song I have ever heard. Every riff is great. Maybe they play some riffs a little to long. But that's the way Metallica do things. Some parts are just too good to be true 9.5/10.