Ride the Lightning review by Metallica

• Released: Jan 1, 1984
  • Users' score: 9.6 (1,748 votes)
Metallica: Ride the Lightning

There's little I can say about Metallica that hasn't been chronicled a hundred times. Every album (except load and reload) felt like an album by a different band, whether it was due to their musical evolution or the changing production. Ride The Lightning came out at a point where the guys had just started to progress past the raw punk brutality of Kill 'Em All, but had not yet fully refined their art. The result? A complex, yet rugged piece of metal perfection. The mellow parts, while not quite as obvious as something like "Nothing Else Matters" are beautiful, and the heavy parts are as brilliant as ever.

Typical for early Metallica (culminating in their semi-concept album "...And Justice For All") the themes of this album are helplessness, justice, evil higher powers and armageddon. While they were yet to reach the pinacle of their maturity, the sillyness that occasionally tarnished Kill Em All ("Phantom Lord" for one) is now gone, and it's no longer just the music that is heavy.

Quite simply, this is my favourite album by my favourite band. Nothing short of brilliant. The lasting power of the tracks is immediately obvious; Creeping Death and For Whom The Bell Tolls will be staples of their live shows until the end, and songs like Fade to Black and The Call Of Ktulu will always stand out as remarkable examples of their musical excellence. The title track is a brilliant, under-rated masterpiece, and contains my favourite guitar solo of all time, by any guitarist, ever. If anything happened to my copy of this album, I'd go out an buy another two.

sl!pkn0t
    the call of ktuku is the best instrumental of the lot. the other one are deadset BORING(well the intro and bass solos pretty good in orion) but this is just different. the other ones are fairly slow but this is fast paced and very eerie and has an awesome outro and intro. by the way what the hell is ktulu
    [faint]
    awesome album, just behind master of puppets in terms of greatness but not by much
    Birdy266
    Saintsatan wrote: Fade to bLack has nothing to do with suicide. It was written because their gear and James' favourite guitar got stolen.
    This is true but it was their first gear stolen i think. Anyway Fade to black is the best song on the album i reckon, but it's a kick ass album none the less.