Ride the Lightning review by Metallica

• Released: Jan 1, 1984
  • Users' score: 9.6 (1,748 votes)
Metallica: Ride the Lightning

01. Fight Fire With Fire - a great opening for the album. The minor acoustic chords sound eery and it would make yu never suspect that the monstrous heavy riff is coming. This is the biggest thrash song on here and the solo/harmonized parts are very melodic overall great song. 02. Ride The Lightning - my favorite song on teh album. The riffage is fast and straight to the point. All 4 instruments are played great and it's one of the most techinically difficult songs ever made. 03. For Whom The Bell Tolls - great song, not much to say, exzcept it rocked. 04. Fade To Black - this song flows beautifully the whole way through, from the first not to the last. The solos in this song are very well written. The one thing I don't like is that at the end, the solo is still going on but the song fades out. 05. Trapped Under Ice - heavy, fast, crazy. 06. Escape - every album has it's weakpoint. This song is still really good, but not like the others. What I did like especially was the slowed down breakdown when James sings "see them try to bring the hammer down". It's the only song I've ever heard that had that in it. 07. Creeping Death - the sound here is epic, especially with the harmoinzed parts. It's my 2nd favorite song on the album and I like how James and Kirk worked together on here to make all the arrangements flow. The solo is great, especially when Kirk plays the part that sounds like the lyrical flow of the song. This song just kicks ass! 08. The Call Of Ktulu - the instrumental! This song has so much to it, it's un beleivable how good it sounds. This song was written by Hetfield/Burton/Ulrich and Mustaine. The first time I heard it, I really couldn't tell if that was Mustaine or Hammett playing because their styles are very similar. It's heavy and melodic which works great overall.

The lyrics focus on Biblical Stories, war, the loss of personal things, drug addictions and personal thoughts. It's as metal as you could have guessed. James has a very strong voice. He does this thing where it's a mix of screaming and singing at the same time. It adds to the brutallity of the musicianship. The lyrics and vocals all go great with the instruments because they're heavy when they should be and they're calm and clean when they need to be.

I loved the sound, I listen to the album all the time myself. I think that Ride The Lightning is the best album so far just because the sound of it fits with what I prefer. The album has feeling and the heaviness factor is off the charts. I love how Cliff Burton (RIP) uses distortion on songs and clean on others. He plays the bass like a guitar and it shows in For Whom The Bell Tolls. Overall, this is a must-have for any true metal fan out there and I personally suggest that everyone checks it out.

krymson
    Saintsatan wrote: Fade to bLack has nothing to do with suicide. It was written because their gear and James' favourite guitar got stolen.
    Thats not entierly true, the gear being stolen was the inspiration of a the song, the song being about contemplating suicide,
    scottishmob
    Tedward wrote: dave was still in metallica for this album???
    No... Dave never actually even played on a Metallica album.
    \m/ slayer \m/
    mustaine wasnt in metallica but he had already written songs before he left (in regards to Tedward)
    spycrawl802
    i wish that they will produce an albumm like this in these days. Really Love Metallica.
    Horvat
    Yeah. I hope the new album somewhat slightly resembles this album... that would kick ass, though I doubt it would ever happen. Even if they made one more song as great as Creeping Death or Fade To Black, that would satisfy me. Anyway, Ride The Lightning is a must-have CD for any metalhead.