Ride the Lightning review by Metallica

• Released: Jan 1, 1984
  • Users' score: 9.6 (1,748 votes)
Metallica: Ride the Lightning

This is probably the second best Metallica album you can get (behind ...And Justice For All) but if your looking for some pure thrash, this is the one. Of course Metallica is a metal band and they portray just how dangerous they are in this sequal to their first album Kill 'Em All with Ride the Lightning. Like Kill 'Em All, Metallica has some material written by Dave Mustaine, former lead guitarist for Metallica (now in Megadeth) and it's just as thrashy as their first if not better. This is the track listings: 01. Fight Fire With Fire - the first time I heard this I was taken by suprise by the amount of power in this song. With James and Kirks blaring guitars and Lars double bass peddle I immediatly loved this song. Equiped with a double guitar solo and some amazing footwork by Lars, Fight Fire with Fire is an awesome song. You wont be dissapointed. 02. Ride The Lightning - ironically, this is probably the worst song on the album. Partly written by Dave Mustaine, Ride the Lightning is a fast song with a standard metal riff and a extremely boring solo. I'd defenitly skip over this one. 03. For Whom The Bell Tolls - another metal masterpiece a awesome riff and some great vocals. Love the bassline in it as well. This was the first song for my band to practice together and it's pretty easy to learn. 04. Fade To Black - this is one song that I can agree with Metallica fanboys and say: yes this song is one of their bests. With 5 amazing riffs and two guitar solos, Fade to Black is tied for the best songs on the album, perhaps even the best Metallica song ever. Impressive. 05. Trapped Under Ice - boring. Boring solo. Boring drums. God boring bass. And most of all, the most retarted thing to write a song about: being trapped under ice! You'll like it the first few times then you'll find it boring like me. 06. Escape - I haven't listened to this song that much, but I love the beginning riff to it and it's really a good song. James goes really low in it and has a little bit of a growl effect. 07. Creeping Death - tied for best song on the album. This song has an amazing guitar solo, great vocals, and probably one of my favorite riff of all time in it. What an awesome song. 08. Call Of Ktulu - great instrumental, the best one written by Metallica and also co-writed by Dave Mustaine. This album has some great bass in it and some truely mystical riffs. can't get enough of it.

Great singing skills by James. So matches the music easily. Real thrashy and intense. Probably his best singing skills on any Metallica album, followed closely by And Justice For All.

This is the second best album by Metallica and is definetly worth a buy. The best songs from the album are Fight Fire with Fire, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Fade to Black, Creeping Death, The Call of Ktulu. I love it because it's a masterpiece and one of Metallicas best album. I don't like it kind of because it doesnt't have the lyricists skill that James had on And Justice For All. Great album though. Get it.

Door_Man
    One of Metallica's best albums. I might even like it better than Master of Puppets... Well, either way, IT FUCKING ROCKS!