Ride the Lightning review by Metallica

• Released: Jan 1, 1984
  • Users' score: 9.6 (1,748 votes)
Metallica: Ride the Lightning

Overall, the sound on this album is arguably the best, most rounded-out in all of their albums. The guitars are scorching hot, the drums will pound your face in, and the bass is just plain kick-ass. It's not quite as fast and thrashy as Kill 'Em All, but it's still ferocious, and every single member does a brilliant job. Kirk has some of his best solos right here, as evidenced by "Fade To Black" and "Creeping Death". James really takes the rhythm king title here, with the vicious riffs on "Fight Fire With Fire" and "Trapped Under Ice". Lars really shows how amazing he is in this album, going from balls-to-wall, all-out thrash on "Fight Fire With Fire" to amazing self-restraint on "For Whom The Bell Tolls". Cliff Burton (R.I.P.) does an absolutely amazing job, here. His intro on "For Whom The Bell Tolls" is brilliant, and he sounds simply stunning on "The Call Of Ktulu".

While I personally prefer the lyrics on Kill 'Em All, (I thought the overt talk about the heavy metal life and lore was pretty entertaining) the ones on this album are very good. James sounds great, and very youthful. He sounds angry, but quite like in... And Justice For All, which was kind of over the top. The lyrics all flow with the music, and go well with the tones of the songs. The only one that comes close to a complaint is on "Escape". I don't think the vocals hitting the exact same notes as the guitar sound the best, but it's the only time I've heard this style in Metallica history.

I believe that this album is Metallica's best album. The riffs on these songs are classic, and it's not brought down by some theme that goes into every song, like... And Justice For All and Master Of Puppets. Two of my favorite 'Tallica songs are on here ("For Whom The Bell Tolls" and "Fade To Black"), and there isn't a single one that sounds is anything less than amazing. One thing is has, in my opinion at least, are many of the best versions of the "layout" of this, Master, Justice, and Death Magnetic. "Fight Fire With Fire" is fastest, "Fade To Black" is the best ballad, if not the best song they've ever written, and the best instrumental in "The Call Of Ktulu". Overall, this is a must buy, and anyone who says that they like thrash, or even just plain metal, must own it.

Shazazmic
    fretsofthebeast wrote: if u rate this album anywhere bellow 9 you are either 1. deaf 2. retarded 3. a deaf retard its my fav album of all time
    Opinions... opinions.
    'a7xrocz'
    personaly i thought death magnetic sucked but master of puppets was my favorite
    zAg1619
    To the guy who gave FFWF a 1.5/10... Man, fedex me what you are smoking, cuz you must be heavily sedated to not like that. FFWF is damn near the fastest/thrashiest song that Metallica has ever made. I know we all have oppinions and what not, and none of them can ever be wrong.. Well, except for yours...
    _ChewY_
    anyone who reviewed this album and the overall was less that 9 your insane in my opinion this is their best album
    Teh Skisgaars
    melvg wrote: pag_slash_2 wrote: 01. Fight Fire With Fire - a really great acoustic intro. Really peacefull, but then it crashes into the worst song Metallica has ever made! The riff really sucks and the chorus is a big joke! Not to menchon the verse. I just can't listen get nyself to like this one 1.5/10. Then he says 05. Trapped Under Ice - to place such a lousy song after a comeplete miracle was the biggest mistake this band has ever made. It is worse than Fight Fire With Fire. He completly contradicts himself.... well.. u cant blame him dude.. maybe he just listens to bands like MCR or even techno..
    + 1'000'000'000'000'000 the most technically brilliant metallica album ever it is my number 1 metallica album ever then again so is ...AJFA and MOP i just cant decide but this album is epic i cannot stress that enough EPIC!!! sorry ive been waiting for this review to make front page for ever
    mr. ...
    [x]Huffy[x] wrote: Set-Abominae wrote: This is Metallica's best album ...No.
    ...No. it is
    SlyDevil13
    i cant pick which album is my favorite. i cant really say which one i like best. but im sure everyone can guess my least favorite. cough st anger cough
    Tapping_Ninja
    Probably my favorite metallica album ever. Although AJF and MOP are really high up there. I think it had some of the best stand out tracks like Trapped Under Ice, Fight Fire With Fire, For the Bell Tolls, Fade To Black, and Ride the Lightning.
    metalh3ad88
    first, the GREATEST metal album ever. Call of Ktulu is ****in epic. Second, was this reviewed just now?
    Vedicardi
    ZCT {DYERS} wrote: Wow, so many of these people completely blew off mentioning Cliff's unbelievable bass solo throughout The Call of Ktulu. Killing me man lol. Oh, and everyone who commented and proceeded to bash Fight Fire with Fire, stop listening to Metallica. Idiots.
    Agreed (though fight fire with fire is my least favorite song on the album I still really like it lulz)
    fretsofthebeast
    BlackSymphony6
    bloodbath519 wrote: Who cares I have all there metal albums. And fade to black isn't that great unless you like slow songs and then why would you listen to metal? .
    thats one of the dumbest things i've ever heard.
    Lamb of Deth
    Tiepps : Idiot Kirk wasnt on this album!
    .... Kirk is on EVERY Metallica album (debatable about St. Anger) Mustaine was NEVER on any FINAL recording of a metallica album rather just on demos, i.e. before Metallica was signed/recorded Kill 'Em All