Ride the Lightning review by Metallica

• Released: Jan 1, 1984
  • Users' score: 9.6 (1,748 votes)
Metallica: Ride the Lightning

Metallica can be both a heavy band and an acoustic band. "Ride The Lightning", to me, is a very fast paced album and heavy yet features acoustic guitars such as in "Fade To Black", the first ballad by Metallica. "Ride The Lightning" is considered by many to be a classic thrash album and a vital bridge between "Kill 'Em All" and "Master Of Puppets". It remains fast paced on tracks such as "Trapped Under Ice" and "Fight Fire With Fire". Metallica included acoustic guitars into the album creating a hybrid blend of classic thrash and natural sounding acoustic guitars. This is quite possibly my all time favorite thrash album by Metallica.

The first song I ever heard by Metallica was "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)" off "Master Of Puppets". That was my all time favorite until I heard "Fade To Black". The lyrics in "Fade To Black" really bring out the depressing side in a person and can really help with problems. "Fade To Black" is about suicide and not wanting to live anymore, it's both depressing and heavy. The lyrics on this album are mainly about death. "Creeping Death" is a slower song on the album that is about the plagues of Egypt. The song has remained a staple in Metallica's arsenal, being played over 1,000 times, it has become an instant classic and a fan participation during live performances. The ominous "DIE" chants in the middle section along with the phrygian-mode chord progression has made this a Metallica classic. Jame's overall singing skills on this album really caught me by surprise. His vocals are more sophisticated than those on "Kill 'Em All". His vocals went from little girl screams to a deeper tone which really brought out the thrash in him.

"Ride The Lightning" in my mind, does not compare to any other album by any band. It is one of Metallica's best albums and will always remain that way in my mind. The most impressive song on the album would have to be "Fade To Black". It really catches people and makes them wonder if it's really Metallica. I love everything about this album and there's nothing to hate about the album except that it ends eventually. If I lost this album or had it stolen... I would definitely buy it again, this is an instant classic in thrash history.

Emsixteen 42
    The first comment was correct.
    playpsp8
    HOLY SHIT!!! there are so many reviews 177 (when i read it) comments this album, MoP, and AJ4A are the 3 best albums ever made but death magnetic comes close (suicide and redemption came close but could have had more melody) IMO
    SGofawesome
    Emsixteen 42 wrote: SGofawesome wrote: Saintsatan wrote: Fade to bLack has nothing to do with suicide. It was written because their gear and James' favourite guitar got stolen. Incorrect, It's about James' favorite/first amp getting broken. Get your facts straight. The first comment was correct.
    No, it says in a review, that his first/favorite amp blew out. Jeez.
    formeall728
    The emotional state was caused by that, but nobody would put a song about a broken amp into their best album.