S&M review by Metallica

• Released: Nov 23, 1999
Metallica: S&M

Just what I was expecting from a live recording, in the Berkeley Community Theatre, near perfect sound recording, with even background noises getting through. Some very tiny inperfections here and there, when the audience isn't heard singing sometimes, but nothing bad really. I'd give it a 4. 9 if I could. The orchestra and the band played to near perfection, and the audience behaved particularly well. The entire CD is recorded in a way that makes you think you're actually there.

Well, the lyrics were practically songs from other albums, except for IMO the greatest songs of the entire album, No Leaf Clover and Human. No Leaf Clover had a phrase which I will remember for the rest of my lyric writing life. "Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of the tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way", a masterpiece in lyrics describing a terribly unlucky person. Great as always.

Well, for the price I got it, it was much more than worth it. Almost perfect condition, flawless CD's. The best songs of the entire album were: No Leaf Clover, Human, Hero Of The Day and of course, the evergreen Master Of Puppets and One. However they should have included Orion and To Live Is To Die. I'd now like to reserve something about No Leaf Clover. IMO is one of the best songs ever released by anyone. Every time I listen to it it awesome. It's a pity they never had it released in one of their albums. I don't hate anything in the album, its one of the most perfectly made albums in my collection, if not of all time, ranks up there with Master Of Puppets. I'd definitely buy it again if it gets stolen, I'd hunt down whoever stole it and kill him/her. I love this album to bits.