S&M [DVD] review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 1, 2002
  • Content: 6
  • Production Quality: 10
Metallica: S&M [DVD]

The sound of this live DVD is great. It's suprising how good classical instruments can sound next to thrash metal! Each song has an individual sound, which is cool, and you can choose if you want to turn the guitars off, or if you want to turn the classical off. I prefer both on at the same time though!

Content — 6
Metallica have let themselves down with which songs they play. The set list is: Call Of Ktulu, Master Of Puppets, Of Wolf And Man, Thing That Should Not Be, Fuel, The Memory Remains, No Leaf Clover, Hero Of The Day, Devil Dance, Bleeding Me, Nothing Else Matters, Until It Sleeps, For Whom The Bell Tolls, Human, Wherever I May Roam, Outlaw Torn, Sad But True, One, Enter Sandman, Battery. You might say "Hey they play tonnes of songs, that's great!" That is true, but they don't play the right ones. 14 songs from the average 90s albums compared to 5 songs from the classic 80s albums. Have they gone crazy? At least they play a stunning rendition of One. That made my day.

Production Quality — 10
The production quality is very slick. The menus are good and easy, the documentary is funny and interesting and the angles are original.

My overall impression is I'm impressed. Everything is right - they just don't play the right songs. The most impressive thing on the DVD is the amazing rendition of One, which every must see! If it were stolen, I would certainly consider buying it again!