S&M [DVD] review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 1, 2002
  • Content: 8
  • Production Quality: 9
Metallica: S&M [DVD]

The whole project of Metallica, the greatest metal band of all time, playing three completely mad concerts with one of the best proffessional symphony orchestras, the San Francisco Symphony, is completely insane. Many hardcore fans thought that it went against Metallica's principles as a rock band bafflind them with comments such as "Do you think Cliff Burton would have approved?". As Lars Ulrich (drummer) states clearly in the special features, Cliff Burton would have approved. Why? Because it kicks ass. I never knew that violins and trumpets could make such a rocking sound and add so much to Metallica's songs which are all masterpieces in themselves. I do not think that this album can be compared to the classic tracks found on some of the older material such as Master Of Puppets or Ride The Lightning, however, it is a great way for completely newbie fans to get to grips with all the great songs and develop a taste for the music.

Content — 8
If you have seen the vast wave of hairy misfits that can be found at a typical Metallica concert such as those on the Binge and Purge DVD, you would be quite surprised to see a much more intimate sized audience with band members and spectators in formal dress. Nevertheless, the music does not suffer and the band members put on a show which will never be forgotten. With the complex use of melodies already in place in many Metallica songs, it was no hard task for conductor Micheal Kaman to write a fitting orchestral score. Admitedly some songs did not work as well as others. The devils dance was particularly weak in comparison to some of the great performances of the concert, including The Call of Ktulu and For Whome the Bell Tolls. The former of which won a grammy for best rock instumental later that year.

Production Quality — 9
I loved the use of the four angles on certain songs which allowed you to pick a member of the band and focus on their performance. There were some interesting faces coming from Lars as he beats the crap out of his drums and Kirk looks surprisingly comfortable compared with his usual timid self.

As a concert to watch, I think that this is one of the best music DVD's ever. It has won me round to, listening to classical music as well as your classic harcore metal, and if were stolen or lost, I would definitely buy this DVD again.