S&M [DVD] review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 1, 2002
  • Content: 8
  • Production Quality: 7
Metallica: S&M [DVD]

I received this DVD as a Christmas present. I have been listening to Metallica for a bit now, and I love it. However, watching this S&M concert took it to a whole new level. All the music had the same hard sound, but mixed with a classical sounding orchestra. It sounded incredible. All the guitars are tuned down half a step for the whole concert, which is annoying, because all of the songs you know and love (i.e. Master Of Puppets) sound out of tune. James' voice is also a bit weak during the first parts of the concert. Overall, really good!

Content — 8
The DVD is a double disc. It contains the whole Metallica S&M concert, which is over 2 hours long. The first half of the concert is on the first disc, and the second half is on the second disc. During the concert, they played everybodies favourite songs, from albums such as Black, Master Of Puppets, Reload, and Load. They also played 2 new songs that had not been released at the time. The DVD also features two film clips for two of their songs.

Production Quality — 7
The production quality is fine. It is fairly normal, a camera showing the band on stage, cameras sweeping the crowd, normal camera work. For a few of the songs, there are also alternate camera angles included.

This is the only Metallica DVD I have watched, so I have no comparisons. I love it because it is a new sound by Metallica which I had never heard before, and was quite good. However, I would prefer to watch a concert of just them playing everythjing as heavy as they can, and would probably find another concert to watch if I lost it.