S&M [DVD] review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 1, 2002
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 9
Metallica: S&M [DVD]

Metallica, once upon a time the masters of metal, who would have thought that songs like Master Of Puppets, For Whom The Bell Tolls, One, Battery and you know what I mean, can be played with an orchestra. When I saw the DVD I was amazed. First of all, the live performance seemed too perfect, I mean everything was right. The vocals weren't too ambitious, the drums were fast, and so was the guitar. It sounded perfect, looked awesome and showed how far Metallica have actually come. From being those young rockers who thrashed it out to release Kill 'Em All to what they were in the S&M show.

Content — 10
All the classics, One, For Whom The Bell Tolls, Master Of Puppets, Battery, Enter Sandman, Nothing Else Matters, Memory Remains, Fuel, The Thing That Should Not Be, The Call Of The Ktullu among others and two new tracks, No Leaf Clover, and Human. I loved each and every performance. I loved the way they did One, and I only wish they would have played Fade To Black also. But on the whole a great list of songs. The way Nothing Else Matters was played was fabulous. Firstly, Hetfield was sitting in the middle of a hundred people with his acoustic in hand and playing like as if it was just another day playing with an orchestra of about 100 members. And then came his awesome voice. And nothing else matters.

Production Quality — 9
Great sound, honestly it was awesome. Though I'd rather have a Live Shit Binge And Purge sound, this was different. I have to appreciate the fact that, the were playing symphony there with Metallica, talk about best of both worlds. Anyway the production was spot on, yet nothing to marvel about.

Great, absolutely fantastic. The songs played are great, the performances are all awesome. I loved each and every bit of the performance. A great experiment, good idea, Metallica rules! Or rather "ruled." Compare this to the DVD in St. Anger. It is not the classic metal concert, like Live Shit Binge And Purge, but is just another dimension of Metallica.

Hammett_4
    kick ass dvd. Personally i think the older songs (with lot of middlesections etc.) sound better than the shorter ones.
    slayerman82000
    I wonder why they decided not to include Fade To Black and Welcome Home (Sanitarium) in the setlist. They wouldve sounded even better than usual with the acoustic/clean parts in those songs. And I thought they were a staple part of their setlist - but perhaps that was why they weren't chosen? Still, amazing dvd! Roll on July 8th @ Wembley!!
    hey143
    This is a VERY GOOD DVD. A must buy for any Metallica fan. The orchestra accompany them very well. I wish there weren't so many Load/Reload songs though...
    Thunderstrucked
    There are many songs that are better than on the studio versions. Good light show, evrything is perfect, kirk had a very good day(i guess he has every day, but he was awsome). Lars is also very perfect, but who is the bassist? I havent seen him before....
    peartdrummer
    If I find it, I will buy it. I borrowed it from a coworker, and I was blown away. Buy it don't burn it. Support the artists, ya penny pinchers!
    rockergurl09
    WOW! I want it soooo bad! And with the orchestra, it's one of the best unities that's happened to rock.
    Hotfox_07
    This album is amazing. I was astonished by the whole orchestra thing, but it worked perfectly. I think my favorite part of the DVD is the fact that you can listen to just the band or just the orchestra by themselves. The orchestra is awesome by itself and it adds a whole new flavor to metallica that just wasn't there before. I actually enjoy these versions of the songs more than I do the studio versions. It's really cool if you watch the cello players closely at the end of the second half, they're holding their bows with the metal handsign.
    pigger
    i will have to agree, i got the cd many years ago and was just blown away, so i had to go watch the dvd, its blumming incredible, definetley worth it!
    metallica2887
    S&M is good. but these reviewers have no idea what they are talking about. Get informed before writing a review.