S&M [DVD] Review

artist: Metallica date: 02/03/2005 category: compact discs
Metallica: S&M [DVD]
Released: Jun 1, 2002
The sound of this live DVD is great. It's surprising how good classical instruments can sound next to thrash metal! The most impressive thing on the DVD is the amazing rendition of "One."
 Content: 9.1
 Production Quality: 9
 9.2
 9.3
 1,771
S&M [DVD] Reviewed by: RIPdime, on february 03, 2005

Sound: The sound on this DVD/CD is incredible. The orchestra really give it an extra boost and it makes the songs so much stronger and they almost seem perfect. Like the 'tallica guys said in the extra documentary the orchestra's background tunes are beautiful even without the guitars, drums etc. // 10

Overall Impression: Many bands have worked with orchestra's all over the world, but in any of them there wasn't as much inspiration, power and melodic songs. Its a very mellow and easy going DVD, hardly any swearing, no nudity or anything of that nature. Watching Kirk's face after a guy does a stage dive during "Outlaw Torn" is pretty funny. This is a truly great DVD and any 'tallica fan should own it. Some of the perfomances in this are much better than studio versions. If I lost my copy I would definatly get another copy. // 10

S&M [DVD] Reviewed by: GuitarDesperado, on september 25, 2005

Sound: Metallica? With an ochestra? Very true! Some people would frown on this and maybe say Metallica went away from their roots and turned to sell-outs, but this is very stunning on what the maestro (Michael Kamen) and Metallica have put together! The sound is great, nothing less than expected from Metallica, even with 100+ back-up musicians to boot! With over twenty songs on the two discs it is well worth the price to sit down, watch, and listen to one of the world's greatest thrash metallers go to town with an orchestra! // 9

Overall Impression: What is the most impressive thing on the DVD? Metallica playing with a symphony is my best bet. I love it all, and would buy me another one and buy a few more for my friends. Also has a great cover! // 10

S&M [DVD] Reviewed by: refusedparty, on september 03, 2004

Sound: The sound of this live DVD is great. It's suprising how good classical instruments can sound next to thrash metal! Each song has an individual sound, which is cool, and you can choose if you want to turn the guitars off, or if you want to turn the classical off. I prefer both on at the same time though! // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression is I'm impressed. Everything is right - they just don't play the right songs. The most impressive thing on the DVD is the amazing rendition of One, which every must see! If it were stolen, I would certainly consider buying it again! // 8

S&M [DVD] Reviewed by: iamhighonchrist, on september 24, 2005

Sound: Many, many bands do concerts with orchestras, but Metallica did it right. They have James' guitar set up so well that when he plays "Nothing Else Matters" like heaven. Then on "Fuel" Kurt is shredding on his guitar and there are a whole bunch of old guys behind him, but it still sounds awesome. // 10

Overall Impression: I own tons and tons of CD/DVD's, but this one is by far my favorite. I would have to say that the most impressive thing on this DVD is the music. By far the music. I love everything about this DVD but they only thing I hate, is that there isnt more! If someone stole it, I would chase 'em down with a baseball bat in my hands and knock 'em out and then I'd get my DVD back. But if I couldn't cath them then I would go out and buy another one. // 10

S&M [DVD] Reviewed by: oldcabage, on november 21, 2005

Sound: The whole project of Metallica, the greatest metal band of all time, playing three completely mad concerts with one of the best proffessional symphony orchestras, the San Francisco Symphony, is completely insane. Many hardcore fans thought that it went against Metallica's principles as a rock band bafflind them with comments such as "Do you think Cliff Burton would have approved?". As Lars Ulrich (drummer) states clearly in the special features, Cliff Burton would have approved. Why? Because it kicks ass. I never knew that violins and trumpets could make such a rocking sound and add so much to Metallica's songs which are all masterpieces in themselves. I do not think that this album can be compared to the classic tracks found on some of the older material such as Master Of Puppets or Ride The Lightning, however, it is a great way for completely newbie fans to get to grips with all the great songs and develop a taste for the music. // 10

Overall Impression: As a concert to watch, I think that this is one of the best music DVD's ever. It has won me round to, listening to classical music as well as your classic harcore metal, and if were stolen or lost, I would definitely buy this DVD again. // 10

S&M [DVD] Reviewed by: pepsi_lovr, on january 09, 2006

Sound: I was a little skeptical before I listened/watched S&M, I mean an orchestra with metallica? But I was blown away, it was simply amazing and wow the sound? Don't get me started about that. Some of the songs were kinda ruined by the symphony I have to admit but others were friggin amazing with it like call of the ktulu. In that song I love the beginning and the end with James and the bells or whatever it was playing with him. // 9

Overall Impression: It is amazing! Really the only thing I don't like on this is the fact that the symphony does somewhat ruin some parts of there songs. But then again it balances out by making some other ones 50 million times better (Call Of The Ktulu). If this was lost or stolen I would be forced to go on a murderous rampage until I got the guy who took it. // 10

S&M [DVD] Reviewed by: black_sabbath, on march 02, 2006

Sound: Metallica, once upon a time the masters of metal, who would have thought that songs like Master Of Puppets, For Whom The Bell Tolls, One, Battery and you know what I mean, can be played with an orchestra. When I saw the DVD I was amazed. First of all, the live performance seemed too perfect, I mean everything was right. The vocals weren't too ambitious, the drums were fast, and so was the guitar. It sounded perfect, looked awesome and showed how far Metallica have actually come. From being those young rockers who thrashed it out to release Kill 'Em All to what they were in the S&M show. // 10

Overall Impression: Great, absolutely fantastic. The songs played are great, the performances are all awesome. I loved each and every bit of the performance. A great experiment, good idea, Metallica rules! Or rather "ruled." Compare this to the DVD in St. Anger. It is not the classic metal concert, like Live Shit Binge And Purge, but is just another dimension of Metallica. // 10

S&M [DVD] Reviewed by: kdownes, on may 29, 2007

Sound: When you think of Metallica the last thing that comes to mind is the word orchestra. But tat was exactly what popped into Mihael Kamen's mind and so S&M was born. And Kamen doesn't just leave it with the light stuf. He tackles the heavy songs head first with mind-blowing effect. Master Of Puppets, Sad But True, Battery, The Thing That Should Not Be all are there and all are mastered. And if anything thing else was needed, James and Lars wrote two new songs especially for the concert. Somehow the thumping guitars, bass and drums and James's screaming mix in so well with the orchestra. As Kamen says "Imagine taking a very stark black and white picture, as driving and powerfully honest as pumping guitar, bass, drums and voice can be, and adding orchestral light and shade, bursts of colour, and surprising blocks of sound." // 10

Overall Impression: One of my favourite DVDs. I love it and watch it over and over again. If someone was even to damage it I would murder them. I would devinately buy this again and recommend it to everyone. Buy this DVD! I love Metallica and I think this DVD really highlights how fantastic they are as musicians. I now need to find a DVD with Cliff Burton though. The documentary is fantastic and so are the new songs. // 10

S&M [DVD] Reviewed by: tjm16, on january 16, 2006

Sound: I received this DVD as a Christmas present. I have been listening to Metallica for a bit now, and I love it. However, watching this S&M concert took it to a whole new level. All the music had the same hard sound, but mixed with a classical sounding orchestra. It sounded incredible. All the guitars are tuned down half a step for the whole concert, which is annoying, because all of the songs you know and love (i.e. Master Of Puppets) sound out of tune. James' voice is also a bit weak during the first parts of the concert. Overall, really good! // 8

Overall Impression: This is the only Metallica DVD I have watched, so I have no comparisons. I love it because it is a new sound by Metallica which I had never heard before, and was quite good. However, I would prefer to watch a concert of just them playing everythjing as heavy as they can, and would probably find another concert to watch if I lost it. // 7

Comments