Some Kind Of Monster [DVD] review by Metallica

• Released: Jan 25, 2005
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 10
Metallica: Some Kind Of Monster [DVD]

The sound of the movie was very good. I don't like any song on there but it gives you the oppertunity to see a proffessional band jam and how they have made it for 23 years. The story of it is the developing of there newest album "St. Anger" and the recruiting of the newest bassist.

Content — 10
The content of the DVD is the life of Metallica at Perstudio and then to "HQ" for there newest album. The DVD isn't like a giant music video they have bits and pieces of the songs on St. Anger and the ones that got cut. All in all it's just the life of 3 members then at the end the fourth and final member to Metallica. The DVD has trailers and deleted scenes which are pretty funny.

Production Quality — 10
The production on this documentary was really awesome. It didn't shake or move to the point of wanting to throw up, it was nice and calm and captured all of the members and Bob Rock I think in a pretty good way. The technologies in this movie are pretty basic, I mean come on it's a documentary, but a damn good one at that.

The most impressive thing to me on this DVD is you would think that Lars Ulrich was just some idiot, know it all and a cold hearted bastard, but he isn't as much of one as I thought. He actually shows his feelings for James and Jason and shows that even when he gets all pissy he still cares and isn't such a selfish bastard. What I loved about it, it gave me the oppertunity to know the band more, to experience what they do on a daily bases. Gave you (and me) insight on the band and I have to say I have more respect for the album after watching this. What I hated about it was hearing most of the music off of St. Anger because I just don't like the album. If it were stolen I would definitly buy another one, because I just makes me feel like I'm closer to the band and that they aren't as arrogant as I thought.

MaAal_MaAan
    I actually liked St. Anger after watching this movie, one of the best things i've ever watched.
    Kris_HSI
    ya this is a very good movie, and i dont like st. anger, but this movie deffinitly helps
    GATW
    This documentary is amazing, I reakon, and St.Anger was pretty good. Robert Trujillo (the new bassist) is very good too, he really can feel the bass especially when he uses his facials! It also really shows what happens behind-the-scenes. James with rehab, Lars showing his true feelings, Kirk and his surfing and Robert the new guy!
    pedro_008
    ChubbyLove
    pedro_008 wrote: i still havent seen this one but ihope it doesnt contain too much of that f--kin crap they call st. anger
    It does, and it doesnt. Its really quite entertaining to see how they make lyrics for songs (such as the scene where they start recording "Sweet Amber") its cool how they make/break/create songs by jamming and then say to each other "that sounds awesome"