St. Anger review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 5, 2003
Metallica: St. Anger

People will bitch. Old school Metallica fans (you know, the same ones who stopped listening after the Black Album?) will try to find something wrong with this album. They need to grow up. They need to come out of their strange little world an accept this album for what it is. Badass rock and roll at it's purest. You can't help but feel like this is a big "F U" album to people who criticize the band. No radio friendly songs, no solos, no slow, quiet orchestrated songs. Just badass riifs played over brutal lyrics. some might even go as far as to say that Metallica have adopted a new sound. I would half agree. But it's not entirely perfect. The lack of solos is going to upset a lot of people that are just dying to bust their chops learning the new licks (with every Metallica album, people find a reason to go back to the woodshed to improve on licks). And sometimes the lyrics are a bit cliched. But you can't underestimate what Metallica has here. It starts off strong with the opening track "Frantic." Lars starts us off with a massive drumroll accompanied by Roberts low bass. But the best part is when Hetfield bust into the chorus where he yells "Frantic tic tic toc tic tic toc!" and barely haves enough breath to finish it. These moments will put a smile on your face upon every listen. All goes well after the beginning and your left with a very hard Metallica album (even by their standards). It might be possible that some Black Album era fans won't like it. Old school fans should like it. But for us who like Metallica no matter if they cut their hair, get sober, and make catchy songs? Well, I think you know the answer.