St. Anger review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 5, 2003
Metallica: St. Anger

I got the new Metallica album "St. Anger" a while ago and have been listening to it all the time since i first got it. The first thing you realise about it is that it's very heavy for Metallica. I have loved Metallica for ten years now and have all of the albums, which are all amazing! But one thing really shocked me about "St. Anger" where are the amazing Kirk Hammet Solos! I was mortified about the thought of Metallica being just another "nu-metal band!", which it first sounds like. However..... What you get is the culmination of years of playing together fused with basic metal to give an album with a vibe that explodes out of your speakers and straight into your chest and make your whole body throb! Old school Metallica fans may talk of mammoth concerts with epic songs and dismiss this new, almost re-invention of Metallica's "style". However, song's such as Frantic, Invisible Kid and St. Anger still have that energy with is an essential Metallica trait. Kirk's and James' perfect unity gives more depth, more power, more energy with a classic underlying 80's rock sound. Lars, as always, is amazing giving a chugging solid beat at times but also gives an emotive edge to verse's and chorus' with some very slick bass drum work. The style is a fine tuning of basic rock without being pop-like, such as nu-metal! The additional DVD of Metallica practising is great! It's like buying an additional concert DVD but it's absolutely free!

Lyrically this album is more direct more personal. You can relate to it, even feel what is being pumped into your head. "Sweet Amber" and "Shoot Me Again" are beautifully written and sung and moved me in what they said and how they are delivered to the listener.

So after listening for hours to this new, solo-less, "nu-metal" album what can we say..... If you really appreciate Metallica and take the time to listen, you'll find that this CD is the most personal, inclusive and raw album to date. It's an album of great skill and emotion. So all there is to say is...BUY IT!!!