St. Anger review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 5, 2003
Metallica: St. Anger

The first thing you notice about this C.D. is that it has got a very dirty guitar sound to itwhich is good in a way because it suits the style of the album completely and the album has definetly got a thick and full sound to it. Lars is great on the drums with fast double kick and relentless pounding makes for very intense moments on the album especiallly in St. Anger. The new addition Robert Trujilo is great on the bass he just seems to lock into the groove and give the music much more depth than ever before. Overall this album sounds great except for a few songs. My main hassle is the lack of solos which really lets it down but luckily the song are strong enough that the can stand up without a solo.

First thing I have to see is that these lyrics are great. They're deep and personal and every word touches you nad it leaves you thinking "what really was that song about". Another thing I have to say is that the lyrics and singing go great with the music, like in Frantic during the verse the way he's kinda of shouting works great with the music, or during the unnamed feeling he sound really desperate during the verses and during the chorus soft and sad. overall his skills as a singer aren't bad but during some parts of the album he really sounds like $###. But on the most part his lyrics are touching and powerful.

I think tihs album just blows away all other albums released in the last 3 months just from its mood and power. The songs that I reckon are the best are: Frantic: for its heavy feel, St. Anger, The Unnamed Feeling, All within my hands. You are doing yourself a great favor by buying this album it just plainly and simply rocks, if it were lost and stolen i'd definetly buy it again or going looking for the punk and show him the tarmac. Buy this album because it's just 75+ minutes of joy.