St. Anger review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 5, 2003
Metallica: St. Anger

I love all the old Metallica albums, all the way through from Kill 'Em All, with some exceptions on Load and Reload, but St. Anger is a metal masterpiece. The new sound is... indescribable. It's godamn excellent. A little bit repetitive on St. Anger itself, but the rest of the songs are brilliant. All the riff work is extraordinary. Lars' drumming is the standout musicianship on the album, he's insesant double kicking mixed in with instense cymbol work is amazing. Robert Trujillo was definately an excellent choice for bass, he's such an excellent bass player. Without his bass booming in the background and creating some really cool riffs St. Anger would not be the same. A good fast crunch embodies the whole album. Any true metal fan should love this album, because I agree it's not "Old" Metallica, but it's bl**dy good!

Perhaps the biggest difference between this and their other albums is the lyrics. If one were to really listen and truly compare this album to any of their previous work, you would realise that these lyrics are far more emotional and sensitive to previous ones. These lyrics were written to reach out and touch people, to get people in touch with raw anger. James's voice makes the adrenaline pump, especially in Frantic, "FRANTIC, TIC, TIC, TIC, TIC, TIC, TOC!!!". He's never sung so passinately in his career, he gives the whole album 100%. Invisible Kid and My World are probably some really passionate singing, Frantic is damn cool in it's lyrics. The cool thing about this albums lyrics is the fact that they're choppy, some of it doesn't really make any sense, but that's okay, cause it's metal and it's music and it doesn't have to make sense. Some of the best lyrics I've heard off a new album in a very long time.

All the Metallica fans that can't grasp the fact that there's no solo's and it's totally different to their old music... need to get over it. They're not real metal fans if you can't see past the lack of solo's. It's just damn solid music, really heavy, really gritty and downright psychotic! It embodies everything I love about metal, and music in general. It's passionate, not just Jame's voice but the whole band, the whole sound, the whole album. All four guys sounds meld together and transform into something completely different. There's nothing I've heard to compare it too, there's nothing that really characterises this album, it's metal obviously but Metallica have transcended the usual metal boundaries and provided us with something new, and should be set as a benchmark for future metal bands. All the songs on the album are really brilliant, Frantic, Some Kinda Monster, My World, Sweet Amber and The Unnamed Feeling are probably my personal favourites, but there's nothing wrong with any of the other songs. The whole album is very cool, I urge anyone who likes a good metal sound to get it.