St. Anger review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 5, 2003
Metallica: St. Anger

As far as music goes, I think that this album is very creative. The guys have stepped away from a lot of the riffs they used frequently on the Load and ReLoad albums and several preceeding records. The drums seem to clang more than they crack, the cymbals just stop abruptly, sometimes the guitars will fall behind beat, and there are no guitar solos on this album, but that doesn't stop it or even obstruct it from being a great album.

Writing lyrics was always a task James Hetfield reserved for himself. Not this time. This is the first album on which Kirk Hamett and Lars Ulrich helped write lyrics. These lyrics aren't too bad, considering it's the first time that the whole band wrote them. James Hetfield sometimes seems to "oversing" and fall off key, but as with the music, it doesn't stop St. Anger from being a great record.

I remember reading on this site a while ago that Jonathan Davis of Korn said that St. Anger was one of the crappiest things he'd ever heard in his life because of the clanging drums, the vocals, and no solos. He has absolutely no right whatsoever saying this. He couldn't hit a Middle C if his life depended on it, his guitarists are absolutely talentless, and in the long run, Korn is one of the worst acts the music industry has ever seen. Metallica's St. Anger is one of the most impressive albums I have ever heard. The best songs on it are Frantic, St. Anger, Sumkinda Monster, The Unnamed Feeling, My World, and All Within My Hands. I love everything about this album, except for the total lack of guitar solos. If it were lost or stolen, there is no chance that you wouldn't see me at a record store buying a new copy. It is worth every dime.