St. Anger review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 5, 2003
Metallica: St. Anger

Well, where to start with St. Anger....definitely not what I expected from the metal gods themselves but it was still pretty impressive. The riffs are still hard, grungy, and full of what categorizes passionate aggressive music, but come on now, where are the solos. While solo's dont make the music it still hurt a little to not hear kirk really tear it up and continue showing why he is a master on the guitar. My only real complaint about St. Anger was the horrible snare drum sound. It just took too much time and effort to actually get used to the hollow empyty shell sound it produced. However, I do like the fact that Metallica continues to change and grow over time showing that they aren't a band on a one way street and that they can continue to try new styles. So overall St. Anger has a good quality sound with good riffs that express Rock at its finest, just work on the snare next time guys.

James Hetfield is still the man when it comes to writing deep personal lyrics. He fully expressed his frustrations and anger really well after coming off of issues he dealt with during his rehab. Now granted these weren't his best lyrics they were still pretty damn good. My only complaint about his new lyrics is that he was a little too repitive at times, especially with repeating the chorus one too many times in songs such as "Frantic" and "St. Anger", and he also didn't get much variety into the lyrics as previous albums such as the Black Album and Reload. However, James still continues to do what he does best in expressing his emotions and pouring his soul out into his music, great job James!

Compared to older Metallica albums this isn't the best work they've produced or what many fans were expecting, because honestly the first time I listened to the cd I was shocked at hearing no solos and deterring away from the metal Metallica was famous for playing. However, just as the Black Album changed Metallica musically and was their breakthrough into God status, St. Anger could very well be a good stepping stone to lead off of into the future of Metallica. Great things about the album were that James continues to pour his heart into his lyrics and let out his frustrations on the world, there was a good variation of music ranging from hard aggressive Metal such as "The Unnamed Feeling" to a lighter more hard rock feel in songs such as "Some Kind of Monster" and the band still kicks ass no matter what they play. Only complaints about the album include no soloing, yes I realize this doesnt make music but not hearing Kirk continue to innovate on the guitar was a little disappointing, and fix that damn snare drum. The CD is definately worth buying if you are a TRUE fan who can accept change and trial periods for a band that was struggling when they produced this cd and I can't wait for the future of Metallica to continue shocking the world and further demonstrating why they are the greatest band of all time. Rock on Metallica we love you.