St. Anger review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 5, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 4 Poor
Metallica: St. Anger

Oh boy. This is hard to rate. In some ways, it's really disappointing. It's very simple, which really bugs me. That is NOT METALLICA! Metallica is lightning fast, intricate riffs. Metallica has said that they like it like this, but guess what? Tough cookies, guys. On the other hand, it is kind of nice to have something diffent. Just not from Metallica.

Oh my god. I shudder every time I think about these lyrics. Easily the worst lyrics to every come out of James Hetfield's pen or mouth. Oooh geez. "Shoot me again, I ain't dead yet"? What in the name of all that is holy is he talking about? If you've just been shot, and you've miraculessly survived somehow, why would you dare anyone to shoot you again? It's stupid. Frantic tick tick tick tick tick tock? What does that mean??? What??? A stupid clock shouldn't be the main subject of a song, even if it's a song by someone like Perry Ferrel or someone. Boo. Hoo.

This is really hard to rate! I just don't know how! I guess I'll just go on my gut instinct. By the way, if you're trying to decide on whether to get it or not, here's some advice: If you're a diehard Metallica fan, definately get this, just because it's a Metallica album. If you're new to Metallica, I wouldn't get this until you have a better understanding of Metallica. My idea is to get the Metallica albums in this order: 1. Master of Puppets 2. Kill Em All 3. And Justice for All 4. Ride The Lightning 5. Metallica 6. St Anger If you want to the Load and Reload albums, go ahead, but I wasn't too impressed with them. Probably better than St Anger, but St. Anger is an experience, and Load and Reload are just kind of, well, average.